joining regiment from outside recruiting area

Discussion in 'RAC' started by silly_scot, Mar 16, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello everyone this is my first post so forgive me if it is on the wrong forum.
    i am currently waiting for my start date for the HCR after passing selection in october. However the careers office don't seem to have any idea when dates are going to become available. I decided to go for the HCR because being in scotland it seemed that my only option if i wanted 2 go fr was to join them. so what im really asking is if anyone knows how easy or if it is even possible to join one of the other fr regiments as a soldier even though not in their recruiting area ?

I apologies the bone nature and the vagueness of the question. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
  2. Nothing to stop you joining any Regt, no matter where they 'recruit' from. Although most Regt's do still have ties to certain area's, due to cut backs, disbandments/amalgamations etc those area's have become bigger and bigger.

Your local Regt would be Scot's DG's, but they, i believe, drive slugs not FR.

Go for whichever Regt, within that role, you can get into earliest if that is what you are after.

Not much difference between Regt's on a day to day basis, history, traditions etc yes, but day to day running they are pretty much the same. They all train together during Phase 1 and 2, though i believe the HCR train at a different Depot.

Good luck (I would recommend the Light Dragoons, they recruit from not too far from Scotchland). Talk to your recruiter.
  3. thanks for the information, you've cleared that up for me. Light Dragoons was what i was thinking. i will go and have a chat with my recruiter and see whats what.

much appreciated.
  4. Look up the Light Dragoons history, current info etc to get some knowledge on them so you can then prove why you are choosing them.

They are a good bunch and proffesional so a good choice.
  5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

and 1 RTR.

RAC is very oversubscribed at the moment so you may have to sit and wait.
  6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

In the 1970s the LD's forebears 15/19H found ourselves awash with Sweaties after the Greys merged with the Carabiniers and their headcount had to shrink. The distance between Northumbria and Caledonia is only the width of the Tweed and there was never any problem of the Sweaties starting an uprising.
  7. Just thought I'd jump in to add, HCR is full manned at the moment so unless you are willing to wait a year then I reckon LD's is the way forward. I'm also Scottish and in the HCR but if I was to go elsewhere for FR it would be the LD's where I know there are a few jocks in as well, and they are gleamin lads the lot of em. Incidentally if you come across the question at selection or anywhere else "why would a Jock want to join this regiment?"and the old one I got a thousand times, your regiment is Scots DG/1 RTR etc as if you were too thick to find that one out yourself, just give the DS answer that FR is what your intrested in full stop, and dont get duped by the good old lines lik , "we do Recce as well", by other units like some good lads have fallen for, its a completely different Recce role an the jobs are different. Good luck fella.