Joining questions

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Geo2001, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm currently thinking on joining up. I'm 30yrs old, pretty fit and keen to join.

Question....

I am right eye dominant, it's near perfect but as I said it pretty much disables my left eye when both are open because of it's dominance. My left is poor but could be corrected I guess.

Basically whats my chances??

2. It depends how poor, and whether glasses or contacts can correct it enough. There are minimum standards for uncorrected and corrected vision - but the right eye is more critical.

3. Update...

Just had my eyes tested.

My left can be corrected to 6/19 and my right to 6/7.5.

Will this do??

4. Not sure, I only know what I went through, so whatever I say is from very limited experience.

I think you'll be fine with those corrections, but it is dependant on your choice of trade, and also what you're uncorrected readings are. The only sensible thing to do is submit the forms and go along to the medical. They are the people who know the answers.

5. None, you're too old. Unless you join the TA

6. Most trades have now increased the upper age limit to 33.

7. Best bet is to go along to a recruiting office and find out for certain. What's the worst that can happen?

8. agree with dragstrip, visit acio and ask for advice they will also tell you what capbadges accept 30 year olds