Joining Questions ?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by dc84, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I am thinking of joining up very soon, and wondered what you guys think of the options. I have spoken to the careers office and they think that i should go into something else rather than infantry :roll:

Its really a toss-up between two regiments that i would like to join, Royal Irish or RGJ, really aint sure!

The other couple of things i would like to ask for is being 23 a bit old to be joining the army now, as im pretty much fed up with this "civvy" rubbish. Also, is the wearing of glasses for reading any real hinderance to my 'career' as it were?

Thanks if you can help.

Dave. :wink:
  2. 23 isn't too old mate. I'll be 26, right up at the grandad end of the spectrum, by the time i'll be eligable to reapply.
  3. From the guys I know who joined up at your age, the army life will be a big culture shock. You'll have no freedom for the next 4 years of your life. You'll be told when to get up, clean the block, eat, sleep and go for a shit. You might love it but on the other hand you might find yourself hating it with a passion. Actually go to a barracks and talk to the infantry stagging on the gate. Ask them about their job. They'll give you an honest talk about army life not some sugar coated, we all live the best life crap the army carreers office will give you.

4. I'm sure "The blokes stagging on the gate"" are going to stand and have a chat with you, after all they've got nothing else to do.You'll undoubtedly find itv a culture shock and you will be told when to do what but as you'll be doing it with a lot of other blokes it's not too bad . Once you're out of training it gets a lot easier and if you make the effort you can enjoy it. The alternative is to look for all the negatives and be a whinger in which case I can guarantee you'll hate it and be disliked by everone you come into contact with.
  5. Dave i've PMd you. The bottomline is that 23 is no real drama. i joined at 24. The inf is still worth it but you will always hear from others that it is hard etc etc etc. If it was easy everyone would do it. PM me if you want more info.