joining problems

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by jimie135, Jun 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to join the british army. :D however there may be a problem. :?

I was born in the uk and lived there until i was 14, then i moved out of the country because my dad got a job over here. Now ive been living here for 3 years now and ive heard that if i go back to the uk to join the british army i may have to live there for 5 years before i can join.

Does anyone know if this is true. Ive been on the armyjobs website and it does say that if you are from a commonwealth country u may need a period of residency, but im not from the commonwealth.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

2. 1. Where is 'over here'???

2. Do you hold a UK passport or at least a UK Foreign and Commonwealth one.

3. If you hold a UK passport or a Commonwealth one then living outside of the UK is going to restrict you on what jobs you can apply for, for security cleared jobs you need to have been resident in the UK for 5 years (it can be 3 for certain jobs).

The key to this is if you hold a UK passport, if you do then you can apply :)

3. A lad had the exact same thing
    Lived in Spain for years then came back and
    Joined up. Not a problem if you still have a valid
    UK Passport. If not then best to at least send off for
    One whilst in the application process.

4. yeah if youve got a UK passport then your fine if you havent then you need to live here for 5 years :)

5. You only have to live here for 5 years to apply for UK citizenship and a UK passport.

As mentioned already if you have a UK or UK Foreign and Commonwealth passport you do not even have to live in the UK at all.

You do however have to have lived in the UK for at least 3 years if you want to join AGC and 5 years for any other job requiring security clearance ;)