Joining Police from Uni

I can’t seem to find a relevant thread as I suspect there are differences in joining the Police with military experience as opposed to civi from uni?

My daughter is 21, looking to join a North West Force preferably. She has just finished her degree, on track for a First, Policing, Criminology and Forensics or some such.

I‘ve seen reference to a DE Detective role but she is minded to go uniformed first to build experience but the Detective role is her ultimate goal.

I’d be very grateful for any informed opinion on joining, career path etc.

TIA

I can’t seem to find a relevant thread as I suspect there are differences in joining the Police with military experience as opposed to civi from uni?

My daughter is 21, looking to join a North West Force preferably. She has just finished her degree, on track for a First, Policing, Criminology and Forensics or some such.

I‘ve seen reference to a DE Detective role but she is minded to go uniformed first to build experience but the Detective role is her ultimate goal.

I’d be very grateful for any informed opinion on joining, career path etc.

TIA

Tell her to be a pretend Lezza , have an over active radar for hate crime and be on the alert and ready to bubble her colleagues for anything that they may say that she only has to THINK was offensive.

It's all very much PC BS now

Got a acquaintance, ex Mob, who is now a Detective ... shows the quality that you have as he has turned into the most right on, liberal , anti Boris (anti Tory) hating prick ever. He will be whatever the Service want him to be if it covers his ARRSE and get's him promotion. slimy lizard with no morale compass whatsoever

His Moousu, like mine, is black but she is an NHS Manager ..basically a coconut/bounty bar, who see's herself above anyone else of her race/culture, but who will pull the race card when it suits her fat arrse and pretend to be from a shotgun shack in an attempt to amplify her own ,so called,achievements..

She doesn't even have the class of a ghetto gal.

Pair of brown nosing c*nts ...

Must rush , they're coming over for dinner, Jollof rice and Cow foot, soon :)

Last edited:
Tell her to be a pretend Lezza , have an over active radar for hate crime and be on the alert and ready to bubble her colleagues for anything that they may say that she only has to THINK was offensive.

It's all very much PC BS now

Got a acquaintance, ex Mob, who is now a Detective ... shows the quality that you have as he has turned into the most right on, liberal , anti Boris (anti Tory) hating prick ever. He will be whatever the Service want him to be if it covers his ARRSE and get's him promotion. slimy lizard with no morale compass whatsoever

His Moousu, like mine, is black but she is an NHS Manager ..basically a coconut/bounty bar, who see's herself above anyone else of her race/culture, but who will pull the race card when it suits her fat arrse and pretend to be from a shotgun shack in an attempt to amplify her own ,so called,achievements..

She doesn't even the class of a ghetto gal.

Pair of brown nosing c*nts ...

Must rush , they're coming over for dinner, Jollof rice and Cow foot, soon :)
Racist !! :rofl:

Brasso induced nonsensical ramblings aside, it really is personal choice, with both options available. Having to do the policing degree on top of all the stuff officers have to do, might be off putting. A lady on my officer training had a masters in criminology, but still had to do the policing degree on top of being on the 2 year probation period all officers go on. It's what put me off, so I jumped ship

Your daughter would be able to retrain for Detective after her probation period is finished, minimum 2 years. She'll get plenty of experience of 'beat' policing in that time, as they have to tick off incidents for their development record, sudden death, domestic assault, sex cases, child abuse etc etc

needlewaver

War Hero
Your daughter would be able to retrain for Detective after her probation period is finished, minimum 2 years. She'll get plenty of experience of 'beat' policing in that time, as they have to tick off incidents for their development record, sudden death, domestic assault, sex cases, child abuse etc etc
My lot recruit DE Detectives, they don’t do the PCDA as they are expected to have a degree already to get on the program. They all have to do time in uniform (granted not two years) to tick off the basics as shown by @PapaGolf.

To be fair (and this makes me a bit sick in my mouth to admit), the ones I’ve seen actually get the idea that they don’t know it all and that they need to learn.

I suspect that the trainers have been told that they will manage the DE’s expectations and that we genuinely do have people in the office who have been detectives longer than some have been alive.

As with with any organisation, the correct application of the ear/mouth ratio never goes amiss.

ETA: there is no harm in joint the usual way and doing the two years probation before applying for CID, but my experience of that is that it is riddled with office politics, nepotism and tokenism. You are beholden to being released off a uniform shift that will be perpetually understaffed, and up against a command team who liked to populate the office with Pretty Young Things* who didn’t like working nights** as opposed to people who have the desire and ability to be genuine investigators of serious and complex crime over long periods of time.

* - this appears to have been gripped at my place. Amazing what a new female superintendent does for succession planning.

** - this actually happened. A wench on my frau’s shift complained that nights didn’t agree with her and was offered a place on the Trainee Investigator programme as a consolation...

Last edited:
My lot recruit DE Detectives, they don’t do the PCDA as they are expected to have a degree already to get on the program. They all have to do time in uniform (granted not two years) to tick off the basics as shown by @PapaGolf.

To be fair (and this makes me a bit sick in my mouth to admit), the ones I’ve seen actually get the idea that they don’t know it all and that they need to learn.

I suspect that the trainers have been told that they will manage the DE’s expectations and that we genuinely do have people in the office who have been detectives longer than some have been alive.

As with with any organisation, the correct application of the ear/mouth ratio never goes amiss.
Which Force please? (Sorry, “Service”).

jmb3296

Old-Salt
I am wary of DE detective. It may close alternate roles to her further down her career.
I suggest joining as uniform learning the roles and seeing what she wants to do thereafter. There are a large number of options for both lateral and linear development.

She may wish to look at the Accelerated Promotion scheme or a Graduate Entry scheme which if available at the force she is looking at will stretch her.

Most, if not exclusively all of the top brass of forces have come through those schemes. Of course, if once on it she decides she doesn’t want the next step up, she doesn’t have to go for that step.

Good luck and my best wishes to her.

Dr Death

Old-Salt
Why not try CNC or MoD Plod as in both you get a gun from day 1 and are deemed AFO grade.

needlewaver

War Hero
Which Force please? (Sorry, “Service”).
Sadly not North West, I’m in one of the midlands lots, but DE Detective is a national (not sure about Scotland) scheme. They do a lot of training at the College of Policing as well as completing the National Investigators Exam (which on completion of that and your portfolio gives you accredited detective status and opens lots of doors).

@jmb3296 suggests the Accelerated Promotion scheme; my experience of this isn’t as in depth as CID, but what I’ve seen is that you send the minimum time at each rank to sit the exam and pass the board before moving up. I’ve seen Chief Inspectors and Superintendents with ten years service but then, I think, we descend into the copper/politician blur. I’m open to correction there.

Just for clarity, I’m not a detective but I’m lucky enough to be in a highly technical role as a PC which generally sits along the serious and complex crime remit and my 1RO and 2RO are a DS and DI respectively so l see the day to day shenanigans without a dog in the fight.

Not sure if this has been seen at all?

Last edited:

needlewaver

War Hero
Why not try CNC or MoD Plod as in both you get a gun from day 1 and are deemed AFO grade.
We had a lad from CNC transfer to us and he shat himself when he was expected to actually be a policeman officer. He’d spent six years big timing it in a 4x4 with his Glock, and was essentially a security guard. He naffed off to the CP world. Horses for courses.

I haven't died yet but I've done the other stuff...

It all seems very... complicated. I tried to join my (then) local force in '99 - which seems a thousand years ago now - and (thankfully) didn't get in. I don't know what they were looking for, but I weren't it.

My mate joined the same force a few years later after the PC rot had really set in. Something he said last week during a conversation about immigration really got me thinking. 'Embrace multiculturalism as it enriches our outdated, white, right wing racist society.' I asked him where he'd got that little gem from and he said it was straight out of the training manual.

I've heard similar from an ex-Met acquaintance. It's sad that it's come to this. So, unless you're prepared to be re-educated North Korea style, then I'd give it a miss. As they say... 'The job's fucked!'

needlewaver

War Hero
It all seems very... complicated. I tried to join my (then) local force in '99 - which seems a thousand years ago now - and (thankfully) didn't get in. I don't know what they were looking for, but I weren't it.

My mate joined the same force a few years later after the PC rot had really set in. Something he said last week during a conversation about immigration really got me thinking. 'Embrace multiculturalism as it enriches our outdated, white, right wing racist society.' I asked him where he'd got that little gem from and he said it was straight out of the training manual.

I've heard similar from an ex-Met acquaintance. It's sad that it's come to this. So, unless you're prepared to be re-educated North Korea style, then I'd give it a miss. As they say... 'The job's fucked!'
I think that malarkey has had its day; there just isn’t the time or money to continue the indoctrination. My experience tells me that that sort of claptrap may exist at Force HQ or training school, but the shifts haven’t got time.

My lot fell into the trap of this charlatan many years ago

She was the Risen Christ and none shall blaspheme until we realised exactly how much we were spending for some buzzword bingo.

I get what you’re saying but I think we need to remember that kids her age are much more at ease with all that stuff than we are. I can remember my parents saying the country’s gone to the dogs what with all the darkies and wimmin rising above the rank of secretary and continuing to work once married. I can equally remember thinking “you what?” listening to it. My kids now look at me the same way when I hark back to the good old days.

The world moves on taking yoof with it and they don’t see it the same way as we do. Reverse Discrimination to us is a Positive to them, they see it as opportunity for all and to be fair, barring the extremist examples frequently documented here, they’re probably right.

If we're going to continue with unrestricted immigration from countries with different attitudes to law and order then we're going to need some 6ft head-punchers, not pretty young things with degrees.

There's no point in whining about police staffing levels and recruiting on tv, and then making it virtually impossible to join. The whole thing is an utter train wreck.

If we're going to continue with unrestricted immigration from countries with different attitudes to law and order then we're going to need some 6ft head-punchers, not pretty young things with degrees.

There's no point in whining about police staffing levels and recruiting on tv, and then making it virtually impossible to join. The whole thing is an utter train wreck.
I’d best tell her to can it then which is a bit of an issue as that’d render her unemployable; she’s crap at typing and couldn’t make a decent brew to save her life.

On the upside, she’s got drive, a willingness to learn, no real desire to question someone superior simply because the superior has ovaries, is 6’1” and not got supermodel looks.

I’d also suggest you test your theory on size / looks -v- the ability to deliver a shoeing. You can do this by kicking off on an aircraft and wondering how you came to be upside down, in some pain and looking up at a 5‘ feck all, 7 stone beauty who’s had some restraint training and enough of your shit...

The way the Police are now, the 6 foot head punchers would be recruited so they can punch an old white lady for not handing over her purse promptly enough to the nice Somalian, even after he graciously offered to culturally enrich her with his cultural blade, purchased from the Home section of Tesco.

As a bonus, they need to be sharp on Twitter, so if anyone posts anything other than 'Fúck the Tories', they can dispatch a rapid response car schnelmacken to pick up the disgusting thought criminals.

Latest Threads