Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

joining paras at 32

Hi all,

I am considering joining the paras, it's something that i keep coming back to.

I've recently divorced, and if i don't do it now then time will be too late. i'm turning 32 in August.

My fitness level is excellent so i am confident i'll be suitable from that point of view.

My main issue/question is in relation to (if successful) what life is like as a paratrooper?

Do you live on base? Where in UK are you generally posted to? Do you have weekends off?

I have a 2 year old boy who i want to see on a regular basis.

Cheers

It's now or never. Do it before you lose the invincibility of youth.

If you don't go now, you'll very soon be too old, and will never find out.

estwist

Old-Salt
Hi all,

I am considering joining the paras, it's something that i keep coming back to.

I've recently divorced, and if i don't do it now then time will be too late. i'm turning 32 in August.

My fitness level is excellent so i am confident i'll be suitable from that point of view.

My main issue/question is in relation to (if successful) what life is like as a paratrooper?

Do you live on base? Where in UK are you generally posted to? Do you have weekends off?

I have a 2 year old boy who i want to see on a regular basis.

Cheers
Whats the worst that can happen? You dont get in? Dont wait until its too late.

What is the age limit now? I was just looking on 23's page and ex regs and AR applicants can join up to 43 and 364 days now! I thought the cut off for that was 36, it must have changed in the last year or so as in the last briefing I was in where they were fishing for recruits it was 36 21 & 23 SAS (Reserve)

There's a saying - squaddies, 20 years old, with knees and back of a 60 year old, treated like a 7 year old.

It doesn't bode well for a 30 something.

It's a harsh reality.

Hi all, My main issue/question is in relation to (if successful) what life is like as a paratrooper?

Treat yourself to the film 'Kajaki' the experiences of one particular serial, albeit an exceptional one. The general 'craic' among the troops is as lifelike as you'll get. It may answer your query.

aardvark64

War Hero
Colonel Kurtz wannabe?

Good luck with the application :)

I joined the AR with no prior experience at 33 in a close combat role and had no issues with the physical side of it, and still at 38 I'm very fit and have no dramas carrying operational loads over long distances and passing all the fitness tests. Paras are a different beast so it'll obviously be a lot harder than what I've done but I'd say go for it if you're as fit as you say with no history of injuries that might flare up on the training. Can't comment on how much you'll be away as a regular or what life will be like but I'm sure others on here can advise on that. Don't get older and regret not giving it a go if you really want it!

Shockwave

On ROPS
On ROPs
In the evenings once in your unit the time is your own, you are not required to live on camp but you must be able to parade in time for work.

You will either be posted to Colchester or Wales. Although chances of Wales is slim as you will be required to serve in 2 or 3 PARA first. When not on exercise or deployments the typical working week is Mon-Fri. With a sports afternoon on a Wednesday and a half day on a Friday. Work hard and what ever you think of your phys level it’ll need more work dearie

Latest Threads