Joining late

Hi guys,

I'm 29 and considering a career in the army. I'm in the best shape I've ever been and am mentally strong so am not worried about selection although I'm sure it's tough. The problem is my circumstances. I'm married, have a young daughter and a mortgage to pay.

We have a good life and I know people will think I'm crazy but I've wanted to be in the army since I was a boy. I allowed myself to be talked out of it and enjoyed a lot of traveling working as a chef for the last ten years. But I've never shaken the feeling that I'm not doing what I should be doing.

My wife says she's ok with it but I'm sceptical. I was wondering if you guys had met other late joiners and what their experiences were like? My daughter is too young to be affected. (Not in school yet).

I also wondered about job roles. I'm a capable chef and have worked in some well respected restaurants but I'm looking to draw a line under that time in my life. Cooking lost its appeal to me a while back and I'd like to do something different. Joining and then being assigned to the kitchen would be torture.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:
Have a search, plenty of threads covering this topic, unfortunately you will have attracted the rath of the duplicated thread topic gestapo, so expect incoming!

As you're here, no problems joining late, plenty do, it's more about you and your character/fitness.

If you want a complete change, what do you like/fancy doing. As I am now a civvy in construction, I would recommend getting a trade. Sparky, chippy, brickie etc, but for all I know, you may just fancy driving a tank for 3 years!

Edit; Just noticed you have put this in the Brexit forum, you have failed the first stage of application, The Arrse paper sift.

Do it, sounds like you'll regret it otherwise.

Don't go for chef though if you already have that skill. Have a look at Ammunition Technician.

The last chef that came across to us was awarded a George Cross.

jim30

LE
have you thought about doing it in your spare time in Army Reserve? This way you keep your 'real life' but get to soldier at weekends and other times - may be a good taster to see if its for you or not?

Might be a good idea. I work a lot of hours cooking so I'd have to see how I could work it around my other commitments. I'm heading to the recruitment office to talk tuesday so I'll bring it up with them.

I have asked for the thread to be moved. Can't see an option to do it myself.

Might be a good idea. I work a lot of hours cooking so I'd have to see how I could work it around my other commitments. I'm heading to the recruitment office to talk tuesday so I'll bring it up with them.

I have asked for the thread to be moved. Can't see an option to do it myself.

But did you vote to remain or leave?

If you voted to remain, I'd infer that you like your safety and security and therefore should join the reserves.

SAPPJ

Clanker
It would appear you and I have walked similar paths. I would say that I am also a family man with responsibilities. I also have "reasonable" backing but I was too sceptical about this but, as the thought of a military life has been in my mind for the last 15 years, I decided I MUST do something about it. My job is/was an electrician but this too, has fallen behind me as I no longer feel the enthusiasm about it. So, I decided to do something different albeit in the royal engineers and I will pursue a new career instead. It would pay to get your mind set sorted while you are training for fitness prior to joining, it will help a lot.

Latest Threads