Joining In Corps Reserves direct

I've just seen an advertisement locally for Army Reserve roles in Int Corps at the local reserves outfit. Done a bit of research and seems like a pretty rewarding and interesting set of roles offered even if a bit vague due to the nature of classified work. They are looking for people with analytical skills and I'm definitely interested as a software engineer who's been attracted to the reserve forces.

Since applications are generic from what I've read and selection is separate for int corps due to the speacilised skillsets if I don't make it in I'd probably not be interested on being stationed elsewhere in some other outfit outside the int corps since the location is attractive and would allow me to keep my civ career. Is this reasonable or would I have to commit to the reserves generally before going through the int corps selection.

I'm going to contact them directly, would rather get insiders perspective first.

There is no need to commit to anything, you can quit at any point.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
You're not committed to anything. If you're not selected for the Int Corps, there's nothing to prevent you just walking away - although, if you've made it that far, the chances are good that other fascinating roles in the AR would still be open to you.

You're not committed to anything. If you're not selected for the Int Corps, there's nothing to prevent you just walking away - although, if you've made it that far, the chances are good that other fascinating roles in the AR would still be open to you.

The issue would be location, I am not sure how much the location of the reserve unit affects what I can do beyond drill nights. Presumably all the important stuff is done over weekends away though.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
The issue would be location, I am not sure how much the location of the reserve unit affects what I can do beyond drill nights. Presumably all the important stuff is done over weekends away though.
Yeah, pretty much. The ARC is where drill nights happen and they're necessarily rather limited in the scope of the training you can undertake. The good stuff happens away - and the Army very kindly looks after the necessary transport.

From what I gather the int corps is long none other in the army for analytical/intelligence, unless someone really wants to challenge that.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm guessing that was a predictive text nonsense.

The Corps is unique, in many ways, but other parts of the Army do interesting stuff as well - whereabouts are you?

I'm guessing that was a predictive text nonsense.

The Corps is unique, in many ways, but other parts of the Army do interesting stuff as well - whereabouts are you?

Cambridge, not far from the ARC, Royal Marines is interesting but I'm almost too old and don't think I could commit to something that gruelling as a reservist with a career, noticed the int corps have an outfit there and I love analytical work for some reason. Seems like a good way to serve and gain/bring skills I like.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Cambridge, not far from the ARC, Royal Marines is interesting but I'm almost too old and don't think I could commit to something that gruelling as a reservist with a career, noticed the int corps have an outfit there and I love analytical work for some reason. Seems like a good way to serve and gain/bring skills I like.
Mmm. Not a lot around the area, apart from medics, truckies, wedgeheads and grunts, is there?

I should contact the Int Corps at Cambridge and just, you know, have a conversation. They'll guide you through what's involved. There are some AR Corps types around here who will no doubt be delighted to offer helpful advice as and when required.

Latest Threads