Joining having been a teacher advice needed

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by smudgeb2009, Oct 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right this is where I am at, I am 26, currently Director of Sport in a school, been teaching for 5 years and have just about had enough of it. Before going into teaching I wanted to go into the army, into the infantry, I looked at going in as an Officer but as things happened after completing my degree 'I fell' into teaching. I need some advice on info with regards to career prospects if I was to go into the army as a private, any info would be useful, (promotion prospects, weather my past experince would increase the rate of promotion.) I am well aware that by doing this route I would take a massive pay cut but this is something I want to do. Any info would be much appreciated, maybe there is someone who has done something similar.

2. Why on earth would you swap your privileged and well-paid world for £16k and a world where your former students were now your contemporaries?

No, your teaching experience would count for nothing as an infantry soldier.

Get real. You either use your degree and experience to pass AOSB and gain a commission (and you get a move on), or you apply for a job with the CCF/ACF.

Litotes

3. savage. love it.

4. What about the TA when/if they start recruiting again? If you wanted to be paid though I suppose you could try the Royal Marines Reserve?

5. If ya wanta join - join!
    dont listern to what these lot ave to say - cod war warriors! most of em!!

yes a pay cut, yes bullshit but if ya want it - do it - fcuk these these!

hopefully see youn soon - some ditch outsidce sangin!

6. Maybe he should stay on as a teacher and teach u hw 2 spel u fkin dik

7. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Ignore all of the above less Litotes. Those following posts should give you an idea of what you'll be exposed to. Like it? Thought not.

8. I enjoyed my time in the army, and made some very good friends, had some great experiences etc... But seriously, as somebody who became a professional afterwards - there's no fecking way I could give up this life and go back in as a soldier.

As others have said - it's not just a pay cut you'll experience... Although I'm sure chatting around the camp-fire with Dinger & Smudge, whilst eating beans from the tin is all very romantic when played out in your head.

Edit: Not that I am being deliberately disparaging, but I'm not sure you would be happy as an infantry solider giving your current occupation etc.

Although if you do wish to go the enlisted route, maybe speak to some of the people on the Int Forum - I think recruiting graduate soldiers is the norm for them. Actually, I think there are a few graduate soldier positions in some of the Corps you might want to investigate.

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I'd learn the difference between "weather" (where you get rained on), whether (where you decide to do something), and werther (where you're a sheep over a year old) before you make such a life-changing career choice.

Teachers today....

10. well I will throw my 2 pence in..

as some who is professionally qualified the worst that could happen is you do not like it and go back to teaching... At 26 not going to be a massive mistake in your life...

11. Crikey! The whole site is turning into the NAAFI. You're making enquiries in the wrong place bud. You need to get ur fuzzy butt down the local ACIO/AFCO and chat to the staff in there.

They've got literature and even videos that you can watch to help you make your mind up. At 26 you should be smarter that the average bear so you should be able to read between the lines with regards to what they tell you. It's worth sitting all the relevant tests that they do at the ACIO/AFCO as well. You're not committed until you take the Oath and it will give the staff an idea of what they can offer you. And don't limit your enquiries to just the Army! Info is free so see what the Navy and RAF are willing to offer you. Once armed with all the facts as to what is and isn't available, you can make your decision in the comfort of your own home.

Oh, and congrats on managing to be a teacher for so long! If i went down that avenue it would be the shortest teaching career in history. I'd probably strangle one of the little bastards on my first day.

Best of luck bud.

DG

12. again, savage, i love it.

they_stood_in_the_door: sort it out, and fk off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.