Joining HAC

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by police5009, Jan 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

I have been in the TA for a number of years and completed a number of Op tours and various instructional courses.
    For the past few months I have been thinking of transferring to the HAC.
    Is there anyone out there who could possibly advice me on this transfer, such as job roles and who I can speak to actually transfer. I have attended a presentation already.
    many thanks.

2. PM Carlos N Hathcock.

3. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

4. Ravers is on the ball give the HAC a call direct or bimble along to their barracks on the first tuesday of any month around 19:00. Unless you're a JPA niga, a chef or suchlike you''l be requred to do the patrols course so use the time to get fit.

I you are really interested its better to talk to them earlier rather than later as there are only 1 or 2 courses a year.

5. I may be interested in giving this a shot. What base level of fitness should I be aiming for?

6. You need to provide sexual gratification to 2 polo grooms in the wine cellar, and be able to run faster than their fathers.

7. Mental attitude is as important as fitness but a 9:30 1.5 mile time won't do you any harm. Dig around the HAC and 4/73 treads on here, there are enough of them.

8. Ravers

Base level of fitness needs to be as good as you can physically manage. The fitter you are the easier it will be. PFT requirements are the same as any other TA unit.......but.......and it's a big but........you will have to do longer and worse CFTs than anyone else, you will also suffer a lot more sleep deprivation and various other fun filled hardships than you would encounter elsewhere.

Work on your stamina. Start running long distances, then run longer distances, then run them carrying a rucksack.

You get the idea..

9. Surely you mean "and be able to ride faster than their fathers"? After all those polo grooms aren't there just for show!

10. If you are JPA or chef wizard etc are you looked down upon?
    As i'm just over 30 now i was thinking of the ceremonial side. would i be able to go straight in?
    cheers guys

11. 1. For the love of God, don't PM Carlos What a Cock. All you will get is a load of drivel about how speshul they are.
    2. "...and it's a big but........you will have to do longer and worse CFTs than anyone else, you will also suffer a lot more sleep deprivation and various other fun filled hardships than you would encounter elsewhere. " In other RLC TA units perhaps. Whatever it might imagine it did in the past, the HAC now provides soldiers for what used to be called FOO parties and trains them to a standard that is all that is required for that job - as with all other field Artillery regiments, who provide people to do exactly the same job. So whatever they may like to think, the standards are about the same as any other TA unit - and a bit below dedicated Infantry probably. They're certainly not "longer and worse CFTs than anyone else". Go compare - as they say - with the SENTA CFT circuit for SF(R)......Don't be intimidated by all the hype.
    3. If you're joining for the ceremonial - crack on. Although the regiment makes strenuous efforts to justify its existence by sending people on ops (and generally, they do very well because of its recruiting base - send a thrusting, well motivated young graduate with some solid basic training to do a private's job and it's not entirely surprising that they shine) - the main reason that the unit endures is because of the ceremonial role. It's their ability to turn out for the various tourist stuff that is what HQ LONDIST really care about (go and look at the way MTDs are allocated for the task if you don't believe me). Post the Reserves Review it may well become the formal main effort for them... ;-)

12. Ravers

I was referring to the patrols course which all HAC new joiners and transferees must at least attempt. So yes you will do longer CFTs and suffer more sleep deprivation than if you were in any bog standard TA unit, unless of course all TA units have started doing the Patrol Selection Course.

Regardless of what the HAC currently does, the role is still STA, therefore the regiment still trains for it. That's like saying that because 4 Para haven't jumped out of any planes recently, they are no different to a standard infantry TA unit.

So you're saying other RA TA units send lads to 4/73 battery?

To the OP, as always with the HAC, everyone considers themselves to be an expert, few of them have ever even set foot in Armoury House let alone served with the Regiment. If you do just want to join for the ceremonial side, that's fine, crack on, but you will still have to attempt PSC and it is ******* hard.

13. Just seen this,

As mentioned have a chat with the recruiting cell/ROSO and they will give you the most up todate chapter and verse rather than other people's 'what it was like in my day' or in dergenerals case...never - troll. Sounds like I failed him on his Recruits Course.......or smashed his missus back doors in.

Seeing as you have said you are intrested in doing the cerimonial role you would still be expected to soldier, no idea on your skills/rank etc but if you are an enabler with a valid skill that is needed you may be able to transfer into something like HQ Sqn where you are not expected to carry a huge bergan for miles.

Bailey and Ravers advice is still good, but aimed more at the patrols side.

Rav's - dont bite with dergen...he is a HAC hating troll and will try to use what little he knows to try and prove he knows more than you/is allowed say.

14. Seeing as you have said you are intrested in doing the cerimonial role you would still be expected to soldier, no idea on your skills/rank etc but if you are an enabler with a valid skill that is needed you may be able to transfer into something like HQ Sqn where you are not expected to carry a huge bergan for miles.

Bailey and Ravers advice is still good, but aimed more at the patrols side.

Thanks guys - will be contacting them shortly.
    The only reason I wanted a sort of HQ role is to try something different. After deploying on a number of operational tours with my cap badge I feel I would like to try something different. Certainly not be an enabler.

15. I have, and I liberated an ashtray as proof.