joining duke of lancs at 30

G

gazman240

Hi I am 30 and passed selection for infantry I am very pleased and can not wait to go in February , but my friends and family are saying I am making a mistake can anyone please advise on this

Thanks Gary

What a mong question.

You're 30, not 16. You'll have made a mistake if you regret doing it, won't you?

G

gazman240

I am not a mong mate and I don't regret it , I was looking for some input from people who have had a similar experience with family and friends who are not willing to support think you have miss read what the question was

I am not a mong mate and I don't regret it , I was looking for some input from people who have had a similar experience with family and friends who are not willing to support think you have miss read what the question was

How can you know if you regret it or not? You haven't done it yet.

The army is an extreme environment/lifestyle which everyone reacts to differently.

No-one, not even you, can know if you're making a mistake yet.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Gazman I think you have misread Offendi's reply.

how can we tell you if you have made a mistake or not (other than joining the infantry at all of course :)) it'll be up to you to decide if it was a mistake when you find out if you are enjoying it, or not.

now calm down princess before the real nastiness starts.

G

gazman240

Maybe I have wrote thread wrong I was wanting to find out why people were saying it was a mistake I generally thought going into infantry was good as it is what I want I did not mean I regret it nor did I say I regret it sorry if my reply sounded like I was retaliating I was not just wanted to know why my family are saying this and thank you offendi and theoriginalphantom I am looking forward to going :)

Maybe I have wrote thread wrong I was wanting to find out why people were saying it was a mistake I generally thought going into infantry was good as it is what I want I did not mean I regret it nor did I say I regret it sorry if my reply sounded like I was retaliating I was not just wanted to know why my family are saying this and thank you offendi and theoriginalphantom I am looking forward to going :)

They're saying it because they are lefty pacifists who don't know what they're on about.

I'll say it again, everyone's experience of the army is different. Get as fit as you can and go with an open mind, so's you can give it a fair shot.

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
They probably think that you will learn no useful skills for when you leave, and/or will get killed in some nasty place full of sand and angry people.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I'm glad we have that sorted out,

being an infanteer is generally a younger mans game, I'm not suggesting your fitness isn't up to standard, but generally you'll find that the younger guys have an advantage with quicker recovery times etc. your advantages will be life experiences and maturity.

friends and family often see the Army as being a daft thing to do at any age, especially at present when it's seen as being bloody dangerous. try seeing it from their (uneducated about the Army) point of view, you see excitement and adventure, they see danger and death.

Thank you

Oh... and since you ask about family's reactions -

My uncles, who are lefty pacifists, thought it was a terrible idea, joining up.

My father, who had to put up with me, thought it was a wonderful idea and took me suitcase shopping.

'When you off, Son?'

Boof

Old-Salt
I'm 27 and also starting on the 1st Feb at Catterick. I think its normal for your friends and family to have doubts, as long as in your mind you know this is what you want to do then just crack on.

Latest Threads