Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining Back Up?

TLMS17

Crow
Afternoon all, first time poster here after some advice as most people tend to be on these pages!

I’m thinking about joining back up to the reserves And have a few queries. I joined the reserves at the age of 17 and left shortly before my 21st birthday due to changing career and focussing on that more. I am now a month from my 30th birthday and have been thinking about joining back up to the reserves. Do many of you know people that have joined, left and then come back a few years later like I am looking to do or this is a rare occurrence?

I’m also after advice regarding a unit to join, previous I joined the RLC (no idea why I just never looked into it much, knew there was an RLC base nearby and went to join them) however I’m looking to join a different unit this time (for no other reason than just wanting a different unit), I do have the Royal Engineers literally a 5 min walk from my house now and have considered them, I did spend a year at college last year of an evening doing a carpenter & joinery course so was thinking I could either build on that, or get a different trade in RE to go alongside that one, other than that I’ve not had much involvement with engineering, so would I be better joining a different unit?

My other option I have thought about too, is joinning back as a reserve however time going for a different force such as the Navy (don’t Shoot me down too much for that suggestion!)

Any advice on units or experience in leaving and joining years later is much appreciated

Cheers

Dr Death

War Hero
RE would be fine, avoid Geo unless you enjoying shuffling paper.
The RNR would also be fine & you might get to serve your camp onboard a ship?
Depends what you want to get out of it as all the Reserve forces will trade train you.

chimera

LE
Mainstream RE Reserve units are combat engineer focused, and you will not get an artisan trade.

TLMS17

Crow
Thanks for the replies all, I don’t know much about the RE and was planning on contacting them have a chat about what the trade options would be, but it’s just at the wrong time right now with Corona going on In regards to not being able to just drop by for a visit I imagine

Thinking of joining up did someone say?

Excuse me, coming through, stand aside, can I just get past, make way there, excuse me, stand aside......

Ahem... have you considered something totally different, one of, if not THE best job in the Army?

255 TACP Battery RA are the only dedicated Tactical Air Control Party unit in the Army, Regular or Reserve. 255 are responsible for providing TACPs and JTACs (Joint Terminal Attack Controllers for those unfamiliar with the term) in support of the Army wherever they may be required. We have many ex Regulars as well as pure Reservists within our ranks, giving us a wealth of experience.

There are no Reserve courses for what we do, so we attend the Regular TACP and JTAC course, and we strive to maintain a constant high standard. We work frequently alongside the Regulars, not just of our own forces, but also those of our allies too. This can often involve working with their SOF.

We are a unit where you’ll be treated like an adult, and get probably more travel than anybody outside of SF. In the last three years I’ve been to Czech, France, Czech (again), Germany, USA and Germany (again). Others in the Battery have also visited Canada and Estonia in that time. This is all while doing what is definitely a great job.

We are based in Bath, but we recruit nationally, and have people from as far afield as Scotland, Colchester, London and Cornwall, as well as people closer to Bath.

If this is something that might interest you (and let’s face it, the only way it wouldn’t, is if you’re dead), or have any questions, please feel free to message me.

chimera

LE
Not according to the army website.

Trade training at the Royal School of Military Engineering in Chatham: 21 weeks, you learn how to use machinery and hand tools to make timber building materials. That is pretty much the full time course.

Reserve: Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Wood Occupations – Construction

Regular: Level 2 and 3 Diplomas in Carpentry and Joinery (Military Engineering), Level 2 Apprenticeship (NVQ Technical Certificate and Functional Skills) in Wood Occupations - Site Carpentry (City and Guilds)

Thinking of joining up did someone say?

Excuse me, coming through, stand aside, can I just get past, make way there, excuse me, stand aside......

Ahem... have you considered something totally different, one of, if not THE best job in the Army?

255 TACP Battery RA are the only dedicated Tactical Air Control Party unit in the Army, Regular or Reserve. 255 are responsible for providing TACPs and JTACs (Joint Terminal Attack Controllers for those unfamiliar with the term) in support of the Army wherever they may be required. We have many ex Regulars as well as pure Reservists within our ranks, giving us a wealth of experience.

There are no Reserve courses for what we do, so we attend the Regular TACP and JTAC course, and we strive to maintain a constant high standard. We work frequently alongside the Regulars, not just of our own forces, but also those of our allies too. This can often involve working with their SOF.

We are a unit where you’ll be treated like an adult, and get probably more travel than anybody outside of SF. In the last three years I’ve been to Czech, France, Czech (again), Germany, USA and Germany (again). Others in the Battery have also visited Canada and Estonia in that time. This is all while doing what is definitely a great job.

We are based in Bath, but we recruit nationally, and have people from as far afield as Scotland, Colchester, London and Cornwall, as well as people closer to Bath.

If this is something that might interest you (and let’s face it, the only way it wouldn’t, is if you’re dead), or have any questions, please feel free to message me.

What rank range of ex regs would you be looking for?

TLMS17

Crow
Ive not decided exactly what I’ll do yet purely due to the fact with COVID 19 and being busy with other things going on at home, but I know joining back to the reserves is something I 100% want to go back to

Dek Finlay

Old-Salt
Afternoon all, first time poster here after some advice as most people tend to be on these pages!

I’m thinking about joining back up to the reserves And have a few queries. I joined the reserves at the age of 17 and left shortly before my 21st birthday due to changing career and focussing on that more. I am now a month from my 30th birthday and have been thinking about joining back up to the reserves. Do many of you know people that have joined, left and then come back a few years later like I am looking to do or this is a rare occurrence?

I’m also after advice regarding a unit to join, previous I joined the RLC (no idea why I just never looked into it much, knew there was an RLC base nearby and went to join them) however I’m looking to join a different unit this time (for no other reason than just wanting a different unit), I do have the Royal Engineers literally a 5 min walk from my house now and have considered them, I did spend a year at college last year of an evening doing a carpenter & joinery course so was thinking I could either build on that, or get a different trade in RE to go alongside that one, other than that I’ve not had much involvement with engineering, so would I be better joining a different unit?

My other option I have thought about too, is joinning back as a reserve however time going for a different force such as the Navy (don’t Shoot me down too much for that suggestion!)

Any advice on units or experience in leaving and joining years later is much appreciated

Cheers
Go RE. They build the best bars when you’re on tour. Bar builders are the heroes. No one gives a fcuk about the roads you made or the mines you cleared or the bridges you built. My abiding memory of Engineers (who I did a tour with) was wow, this bar is cool. Engineers or REME. That’s what I’d recommend.

Latest Threads