Joining at 32

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by DirtyCivvy, Jan 10, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello guys, I have a quick question.

With all that is going on in the world I have decided I want to contribute in some way, that way being joining the TA.

Thing is I'm 32. Im fit as a butchers dog but I'm a little worried about whether my age would be a disadvantage with my peers and also with progression. How are older recruits percieved?

I'm from Newcastle so am either considering 4 Para or the RRF.

ANy advice would be very welcome, thanks.

2. If you don't have any previous Military experiance, the age limit is 34. Bare in mind that it can take a while to get all you're paperwork, medical etc in order. You then have to wait for the next recruit training course, which in the case of 4 Para is at least six months in duration.

Whichever TA unit you wish to join, I would advise you to make contact as soon as possible and get the ball rolling, so you don't run out of time.

If you have previous experiance, the age limit is 43(for most units, there are exceptions).

Best of luck. :)

3. Thanks for your reply, I'm going to visit both next week. I don't have anyh previous experience so yes, I will have to get the ball rolling.

Can anyone tell me how recruits in their 30's get on and if their are any disadvantages?

4. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

I joined at thirty two and was far from the oldest on my intake, in fact the guy that came behind me on my 1.5 mile run was touching forty.

Apart from a moderate amount of pish-taking from the DS and the younger lads appalling taste in 'music' there was no problem whatsoever.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you have any specific queries relating to being an old fart :)

5. The only way you will be disadvantaged is if you are a mong, a complete c0ck or your fitness is sh1t.

6. That's me fcuked then! 8O :lol:

7. I joined when I was 35, no drama's and wasn't the oldest on my intake either.
    In fact I have never been as fit as I am now(at 41) in my whole civvy life thanks to TA training.

I am currently trying to go regs, since the MoD stretched the max. entry age quite a bit.
    Kaye,my Dutch brother in arms joints 11 Air Assault as a reg again next week at 33 years old,after being a reg in 11 AA before and TA until now.

Good luck Kaye !!

8. From what we see coming through us the age thing is not a problem, so long as you have patience, others on your intake can be much younger, but if you can 'suffer fools gladly' then there is no problem.

Sometimes having an 'older, wiser' head in among the recruits is a bonus, as has been said, if your phys is up to standard then you'll not suffer.

9. I joined last year when I was just turning 40, I completed CIC 5 months later.
    Now I'm attempting to get into 4 Para, so at 32 you should be more than ok as long as you work on your fitness, a good sense of humour wouldn't go amiss either.
    The main thing that got to me on the course was the young mongs who thought they were the dogs nuts but they soon got found out.

Good luck just go for it

Phil

10. i joined when i was 32 and am now 43 years old. a lot of the younger lads could run rings round me on the football field when i joined but i was still ready to go after a days tabbing round Kielder.

as you get older your stamina increases but your speed decreases. well at least in my case it has. :p

im still in and have no intention of leaving voluntarily.

pm me if you want to know more

oh by the its Fusiliers all the way mate. 5RRF are a good bunch from what ive seen. i think the parats are a younger mans game. i prefer to wait for the plane to land before i get off :lol:

i'm a Fusilier attached to 4Lancs so i could possibly be a little biased

11. I think it age on attestation which usually happens at the end of you your very first weekend (recruit selection weekend).

12. Ive just joined aged 37, another guy got attested last night aged 42.

If you can do the phys and you pass the medical then age isnt an issue.

13. My Bold - I'm not sure this is correct; I joined at 37 with no military experience (I know, I know I'm RLC) but have met guys during my training who joined infantry units at a similar age with no prior service.

14. 4 Para have a new recruit cadre starting very shortly (possible in the next week or two) and only run two a year now.

Older guys have passed the course but fitness aside injuries seem to be the main cause for failure, especially later on in the course when the phys includes longer tab's, intro to log, stretcher and battle pt.

Not to put you off, just to bear it in mind.

PM me for more info

15. "As you get older your stamina increases but your speed decreases. well at least in my case it has".

Definately the case, did a 4 week Mil training course and on the exercise phase the "young-uns" were collapsing by the wayside from simple weight loss exhaustion whereas the "old Git" ie, Me, was carrying quite unhappily, the LMG and other peoples webbing. Mature soldiers or boy racers? I know which one's I prefer in a non-homophobic way.