Joining at 29 and other questions

Hi everyone,
The recent ads (as bad as they are) reminded me that before I started working at 22, I entertained the idea of joining the army. The idea went away when I managed to get a job in my chosen field. However, 6 years later and I am bored to tears with it. I'm a 3D animator for a massive company but it's really just a glorified office job. And there are other aspects of regular life that I am not too fond of.

I have been thinking a lot lately about just moving abroad, doing workaways (free accommodation for doing a few hours work a day) and couchsurfing. But they lack real purpose. I want to improve myself physically and mentally, engage in high adrenaline experiences and help people all over the world.

So I'm thinking about spending the next year improving my fitness and then applying for Sandhurst. But I have a lot of questions which I would really appreciate any answers to.
  1. What kind of fitness and strength level should I be at before applying?
  2. Joining at 29, am I more likely to be relegated to desk work within a few years? I ask because it's apparently part of the reason this guy left the army at 30.
  3. I'm very short at 160cm (5'3); would this affect my chances of success at Sandhurst? Would I face restrictions on vehicles or equipment I could use?
  4. Are food and accommodation all covered for whilst staying in Sandhurst?
  5. What happens after training at Sandhurst (assuming you were successful)? Do you go back home and wait to be deployed either abroad or to a local barracks?
  6. Can you give me an idea or what proportion of your time whilst not deployed in a warzone is spent doing "adventurous training"?
  7. How realistic is the career progression shown on this page? For example, is it really typical to be promoted to Major after 8-10 years? What rank could you realistically attain without having political connections?
Cheers gents.

Although over age considered on a case by case basis..

Serious question; how bad is your fitness at present? Unless you're a total couch potato, and have got to lose weight as well, it seems to me that a year working on your fitness before applying may be wasted time, especially at your age.

I'm not sure of the current time frame (but I'm sure others here will know), but there may go some months from initial application to briefing.

Get started with your fitness training now anyway, it's not going to do you any harm.

Thanks for your responses.
Best to go talk to your local TAC.
Wil do.
Serious question; how bad is your fitness at present? Unless you're a total couch potato, and have got to lose weight as well, it seems to me that a year working on your fitness before applying may be wasted time, especially at your age.
I'm quite lean and have a bit of muscle, but do think I'd have to do some serious training for at least 6 months before Id be fit for Sandhurst, from what I've heard so far (having asked the same question on reddit). I still "feel" closer to 20 than 30 to be fair.

I am just a little concerned about doing all the training only to end up behind a desk again.

Last edited:

Latest Threads