joining at 28 with a family

Are your family reluctant to follow you around?

Is Southampton area any good to you?

17 Port & Maritime Regt RLC are located near Southampton.

Mariner, Port Operator and Marine Engineer are all trades that don’t move much from there and really good trades to have.
Sport and past time?

Buckyboy34

Swinger

Mariner, Port Operator and Marine Engineer are all trades that don’t move much from there and really good trades to have.
No im more somerset, thanks though! I know the rifles have dets an hour or so's drive either side of me, likely my best bet for local!

Oh, well if we're recruiting: 3 MI Bn, 5 MI Bn, 6 MI Bn and 7 MI Bn.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
This sounds like a lot of people hoping that the Army will right their personal wrongs and professional dissatisfactions. The Army is not a place of last resort for thirty somethings nor is it a good place to have a premature mid-life crisis. Not only will you not find whatever it is you think your going to find, you're going to waste a lot of people's time, including your own and, from the sound of it, drag wives and children through the mud as you dream the impossible dream.

As others have said, there's the Reserves. If you don't like that, you really won't like being at the bottom of the Regular heap, and your family will like it even less.

Been looking for a thread about this for ages! I’m in a similar situation to a lot of previous commenters, applied when I was 19, girlfriend at the time was totally against it and I foolishly jacked it in and carried on with life, a decision I have been seriously regretting for the last couple of years now.

Now I’m 27 with a girlfriend and 2 kids,have a boring day job and live a pretty mundane lifestyle with no real challenges and I’m now thinking more than ever about joining before it’s too late.

I’m in a similar position joined the navy at 18 but left 18months later. Now have a wife and 5 kids but there all growing up with the youngest being 5, and eldest being 14 looking at joining early next year when I’ll be 33

5 young kids. Do you think it's fair on your wife to bring them up single handed when you go off on deployment?

5 young kids. Do you think it's fair on your wife to bring them up single handed when you go off on deployment?
A great many soldiers with 5+ kids deployed

wouldnt Class all my kids as young I have 14,13,11 7 and 5 and as it’s next year I’m looking at applying Giving me enough time to get in the best shape I can. I’m not unfit I currently do endurance cycle events consisting of 200+ miles in a day , I have my wife’s full backing I used to run hotels and was away for weeks on end. We spoke about it a few years back but decided to put it on hold for a few years and now seems the right time.

Buddy!

Old-Salt
Hi Guys,

I have looked around on here and cannot find any threads on people that have been in the same position. Its going to be fairly long so please stick with me.

I am 28 years old and at present I own a successful business in manufacturing. I applied for the army about 10 years ago, I was with a bird who was very unsupportive of me joining at the time and to cut a long story short I baled out at the last minute, I even passed selection etc (yes I know I was a tit). Anyway time has gone on I have new moved on and have been with my girlfriend for almost 6 years, we have 2 boys together, one is 4 and the other is 1.

Over the passed 6 months I have started to think a lot about the life I could have possibly missed out on I think for the most part I have achieved what I wanted to with my business but now I feel like I need a new challenge, something fresh like a reset. I come from a family of 4 brother and 3 sister. 3 of my brothers joined the army 2 have since left. 2 of my brothers absolutely despise the army after spending a few years in there so I feel its not something I can get the advice from with them lol.

Now to cut my boring story short I do feel that its something I am willing to explore again, I would have to sell my business which is worth a fair few quid and I am happy with it. Or I would let my misses take over it and manage the 6 staff I currently employ, this is a detail that would need proper thinking.

Now for the actual question, how do guys get on in the army that have a small family and are in their late 20's and for this I mean that have joined with them? say once I have joined and passed all my phases what would I do with my family etc (bit of a strange question I know lol).

I am just looking for a little advice, for the most part its with how will my family move with me when joining. I know boys in the army who have met birds settled down etc but I have not met anyone just yet like me but I know there will be loads out there. sorry for the long winded life story.

Appreciate any advice
cheers.
As a serving NCO with a family, I would strongly advise you to join the Army Reserve, it can offer the best of both worlds. Fitness wise, at 28, I'd suggest you'll be fine and in some cases even more able than some of the younger guys and girls.

From the family angle, without a doubt, the Army is a struggle and the burden on the non-serving spouse is bigger than the hierarchy like to appreciate; the longer I serve the more I realise that the good jobs / postings come at more and more of a sacrifice to my family members.

In terms of career prospects, as a successful business person I feel you might find it all quite tedious - although this varies depending on job role, the Army does have a bad old habit of treating those at JNCO and below like kids.

Feel free to send me a PM if you like!

A great many soldiers with 5+ kids deployed
But generally the spouse has had a build up to being on lonesome over the soldiers career and increasing of offspring number, not suddenly having 5 kids to manage possibly on their own from day one.

Robme

LE
Oh dear this sounds like a mid-life melt down?
life as the most junior Tom in the regiment/Corps is not the place for a businessman who had a successful life behind him.
Some of the green machines postings are in the Arrse end of the month outback location and never underestimate the limits to which a truly wnak officer will go to make life difficult, because he/she got out of the bed the wrong way. The class structure, you may well think doesn't really exist, is alive and well in HM Forces, and applied with venom and vigor the Nazi’s would be proud of. See the Guards, for a living example of this corpuscle on the arse end of the universe.
The Reserves however are much more meretotic, and more able to take on board your drive and abilities, and ability to reward you for your endeavour. The reason why, if you don’t like it, they know you can walk. In the regs, if you don’t want to muck out Captain Up-His-Arrsers horse, well there’s always menial punishments or pointless showparades at 10 O’Clock. Cos they know there is fook all you can do about the spiteful pointless rank structure, when muppets are promoted well above their intellectual capacity.
Dont say you haven’t been warned.