joining at 28 with a family

Hi Guys,

I have looked around on here and cannot find any threads on people that have been in the same position. Its going to be fairly long so please stick with me.

I am 28 years old and at present I own a successful business in manufacturing. I applied for the army about 10 years ago, I was with a bird who was very unsupportive of me joining at the time and to cut a long story short I baled out at the last minute, I even passed selection etc (yes I know I was a tit). Anyway time has gone on I have new moved on and have been with my girlfriend for almost 6 years, we have 2 boys together, one is 4 and the other is 1.

Over the passed 6 months I have started to think a lot about the life I could have possibly missed out on I think for the most part I have achieved what I wanted to with my business but now I feel like I need a new challenge, something fresh like a reset. I come from a family of 4 brother and 3 sister. 3 of my brothers joined the army 2 have since left. 2 of my brothers absolutely despise the army after spending a few years in there so I feel its not something I can get the advice from with them lol.

Now to cut my boring story short I do feel that its something I am willing to explore again, I would have to sell my business which is worth a fair few quid and I am happy with it. Or I would let my misses take over it and manage the 6 staff I currently employ, this is a detail that would need proper thinking.

Now for the actual question, how do guys get on in the army that have a small family and are in their late 20's and for this I mean that have joined with them? say once I have joined and passed all my phases what would I do with my family etc (bit of a strange question I know lol).

I am just looking for a little advice, for the most part its with how will my family move with me when joining. I know boys in the army who have met birds settled down etc but I have not met anyone just yet like me but I know there will be loads out there. sorry for the long winded life story.

Appreciate any advice
cheers.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
With the best will in the world; it sounds like you're looking for reassurance rather than advice.

I joined late but was TA/Army Reserve (so ignore if you feel it's not relevant) and if you were looking at the AR, I'd say 'go for it'. But giving up a successful business, pissing your wife and kids about to run about with people a decade younger than you for 18K a year?

Possibly worth giving your head a shake.

With the best will in the world; it sounds like you're looking for reassurance rather than advice.

I joined late but was TA/Army Reserve (so ignore if you feel it's not relevant) and if you were looking at the AR, I'd say 'go for it'. But giving up a successful business, pissing your wife and kids about to run about with people a decade younger than you for 18K a year?

Possibly worth giving your head a shake.
Thanks for the input. All will be taken onboard, I do agree with you on the reassurance part and it does possibly play on that also. I do also think its one of those where I want someone to change my mind lol.

I am at a point now where I want a change, having a business is amazing and what we have built is great to which I am proud of. But I feel like I want more and I don't mean that in a material way, I mean it as something that will fulfil those parts of my life.

I don't really know at this point, My misses is fully behind it if we did go that route (we are both from army families) as she knows the life.

running around with people a decade younger than me does put me off a little though specially with the way you put it haha.

As above.
If you join the reserve you can still keep your business,and if you don't like it you can leave at a moments notice and you have lost nothing.
If you go regular and hate it,two weeks in...

I'm in a similar, if not the exact same boat. Self employed with a small business late 20's (27) I also applied about 9 years ago and gave it up for a past girlfriend. Came to the realisation I've wanted that career all along (or at least tried). And I'm going for it. So if it's something you need to get out your system and your family will support you like mine are. Don't **** it up a second time.

I’m 31 and I start ITC next week I have 3 children but I’m doing it for me and my family don’t worry anyone else
What do you hope to do?

Hi Guys,

I have looked around on here and cannot find any threads on people that have been in the same position. Its going to be fairly long so please stick with me.

I am 28 years old and at present I own a successful business in manufacturing. I applied for the army about 10 years ago, I was with a bird who was very unsupportive of me joining at the time and to cut a long story short I baled out at the last minute, I even passed selection etc (yes I know I was a tit). Anyway time has gone on I have new moved on and have been with my girlfriend for almost 6 years, we have 2 boys together, one is 4 and the other is 1.

Over the passed 6 months I have started to think a lot about the life I could have possibly missed out on I think for the most part I have achieved what I wanted to with my business but now I feel like I need a new challenge, something fresh like a reset. I come from a family of 4 brother and 3 sister. 3 of my brothers joined the army 2 have since left. 2 of my brothers absolutely despise the army after spending a few years in there so I feel its not something I can get the advice from with them lol.

Now to cut my boring story short I do feel that its something I am willing to explore again, I would have to sell my business which is worth a fair few quid and I am happy with it. Or I would let my misses take over it and manage the 6 staff I currently employ, this is a detail that would need proper thinking.

Now for the actual question, how do guys get on in the army that have a small family and are in their late 20's and for this I mean that have joined with them? say once I have joined and passed all my phases what would I do with my family etc (bit of a strange question I know lol).

I am just looking for a little advice, for the most part its with how will my family move with me when joining. I know boys in the army who have met birds settled down etc but I have not met anyone just yet like me but I know there will be loads out there. sorry for the long winded life story.

Appreciate any advice
cheers.

TA is your route mate.

If your Mrs can run it full time she can take over 4 or 5 days a month.

As an ex reg and an ex stab, called up as reservist, I'd say go TA.

Hi Guys,

Appreciate any advice
cheers.

TA as others have said. Otherwise you'll be treated the same as teenagers and infantised to a point I wouldn't imagine many people who have had business, would be able to deal with.

Reserves......you have a successful business which those that have finished whatever time they have had in the Army would cry out for. Whilst the Army can give you a trade, dont think that everyone comes out straight into a job that matched it. You have that in the bag already so do not **** that up for the Army which to be fair is not exactly in the best shape at the moment. Reserves all that way mate.

Im in a similar situation to you Josh, except im a single mum of 6 year old twins. I wanted to join when I was 16 but parents wouldn't sign me up, then again straight after Public services at college but I got settled down and fast forward 10 years I've just found myself regretting more and more not applying when I was a lot younger and arguably fitter!
anyway life story over I have applied as a reserve online, as infantry and am going for a chat a reserve centre on a Tuesday night. I would agree with the replies that start as a reserve, you can always join full time if you know that's the way you want to go, but you might be happy just doing both. good luck mate.

Also thinking of joining...at 34 with mrs and kids. Have a boring day job in a factory and have been wanting to join for years. Life had other plans and now im here still wanting to at 34! The only thing i worry about is where could possibly be based. Im in the southwest and from what i have heard and read, you'll likley go where needed regardless of where you would like to go? Reserves would be great but my day job is pretty dull and i want out. I have a trade which seems to be dying out or people doing for a lot less. Hence the factory job! Does anyone have or know of anyone in the same boat? Sorry to hijack the thread, new and not sure how it all works at the moment! What did you decide in the end joshhenderson? Cheers

It's a pity more do not go down the reserve route, see if they like the military and go full time.
i know of 3 who went this route and then joined the regulars, 2 made WO2 & one went LE and now a major.

at least if you do not like the military the reserves give you an easier way to get out of it.

Im swaying more that way to be honest. My worry is my age and the upper age limit being 36 for the regs. Im 35 this year so gives me about a year if i go for full time to 'get in' and with capita being...well capita, it could be pretty slim chances! I'll crack on regardless

Are your family reluctant to follow you around?

Is Southampton area any good to you?

17 Port & Maritime Regt RLC are located near Southampton.

Mariner, Port Operator and Marine Engineer are all trades that don’t move much from there and really good trades to have.

Are your family reluctant to follow you around?

Is Southampton area any good to you?

17 Port & Maritime Regt RLC are located near Southampton.

Mariner, Port Operator and Marine Engineer are all trades that don’t move much from there and really good trades to have.
Like you post Dingerr have a mate ex REME who lived near there and loved the posting.

Latest Threads