Joining at 26/27

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Flashpoint, May 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys I'm from the Republic of Ireland, I'm 24 and on a 3rd level course here and will be finished when i'm 26/27. I'm thinking of a career in the BA after I finish. I would like to get some infantry time under my belt to start with but age i guess would be against me there. I'd like a bit of feedback from the people in the business, Would I get much out of a BA career as enlisted or maybe even officer at the late 20's mark?

2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It would be tough - although not impossible - to get commissioned into an infantry regiment at that age. Not really so much of an issue for soldier entry, provided you were physically robust enough, and if you're the right person you could do well. Your best bet is to talk to a recruiter who can give you an honest opinion based on the real you.

3. I have heard that in a enlisted soldier career 32 years old is the cut off point for most of the courses. What happens then is my career at a dead end? I know i should talk to a recruiter but the nearest it 2.5 hours drive but closer to me finishing college i will be in contact with one

4. I wouldn't mind knowing the answer to this as well. I've been waiting a few years for my job and will probably be well over 27 once I get to my unit. Most courses require you to be at least a LCpl to apply for them, probably taking me over the age of 30.

I don't know whether these are the types of courses you mean but from the top of my head I understand for a direct entry commission you need to have started RMAS by 29, to be an NCO pilot you need to be on the course by 30, and I think the likes of SAS, PF, SRR it's 32 to attempt selection.