Joining at 19

Dear Readers

I am currently 18 turning 19 in June. Personally joining the army as an officer has always been something I have wanted to do and something I will always want to do. However I am currently stuck at a crossroads. Should I apply to join Sandhurst for the 2019 intake or am I too young to be considered a commander. In peoples professional and personal opinion, do you believe a 19 year old could have the ability to command the respect of his superiors both officers and soldiers or would it be more beneficial to wait out another two or three years and instead spend the time working or at university before I enlist.
If possible it would be great to get in contact with anyone who has either recently been in my position or someone who has had to deal with people like me.

Best regards

If you havent already applied then you arent going anytime soon. The process takes at least a year from application - main board, and the intakes fill up months in advance.

I applied in november 2017, had my first medical by march 2018, then went to america for 3 months. Had my briefing october 2018, got a CAT 3, and just passed Main Board last week. And september of this year is full regardless.

If you did want to do uni then go into the army after you could look at the bursaries, but im unsure how they work.

An 18 year old passed on my Main Board last week. Its down to you as an individual and not simply an age.

I started the process of joining as an officer at 18 - although I was 19 by the time I'd actually done my first main board. As has been said above, these things can take a great deal of time.

If you really want to gain some experience, why not join a reserve unit and serve in the ranks?

Regarding if you'd be considered an efficient officer, the feeling I get is that:

1) All DE one-pip wonders are considered about as useless as each other, regardless of age.

2) If you're competent, nobody really has any issues about your age, or lack of it.

Go to university.

Join the OTC, or the local Reserve unit.

Joining the OTC will give you three years in green as a potential officer and you can decide where you want to go when you know a bit more about it. You may also pick up a grant from the army whilst at uni.

Joining the local reserve unit as a private will give you the worms eye view of the army experience. The blokes I met over the years who joined as TA/Reserve privates whilst at university and then applied for and received a commission made much better officers at the outset rather than having to develop into good officers.

Dear Readers

I am currently 18 turning 19 in June. Personally joining the army as an officer has always been something I have wanted to do and something I will always want to do. However I am currently stuck at a crossroads. Should I apply to join Sandhurst for the 2019 intake or am I too young to be considered a commander. In peoples professional and personal opinion, do you believe a 19 year old could have the ability to command the respect of his superiors both officers and soldiers or would it be more beneficial to wait out another two or three years and instead spend the time working or at university before I enlist.
If possible it would be great to get in contact with anyone who has either recently been in my position or someone who has had to deal with people like me.

Best regards
When I did main board, there were a few 18 year old's that passed.

It all boils down to your attitude and potential - life experience isn't always necessary although it is beneficial.

Either look at bursaries on the army website or do your degree in the army, save yourself £27k if you can.