Joining at 16?

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Georgee, Jan 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently 15 (16 on the 30th) and am eligible to send off my application form so i did this online yesterday. Joining the army is something i really want to do but i was wondering do you advise on joining at 16 or do you think this is to young?

2. No, theirs loads of us who joined at 16, and lots who joined at 15, so go for it.

3. You are never too young, just read the Army web pages and get info on what you want to join. At your age the Army Foundation College will be your first port of call . . .

4. I am waiting for a call from the afco what will usually happen will they just tell me about the army and make me come back at 16 or will i actually have to do any interviews & tests etc?

5. Go for it son, On your first leave back you will look at the mongs you went to school with sitting around street corners pi55ed up on white lighting & dope & you will know you made the right move. Good luck.

LT.

6. If you only completed the Online Application today it will take a few days to be uploaded to your nearest AFCO / ACIO.
    Once they have received it they will contact you and call you in for an informal chat where they should tell you all about the Army and the opportunities available.
    It is helpful, though not compulsory, if you already know a bit about the Army and a possible trade that you wish to follow.
    After the first initial informal chat you will be invited back on a more formal basis and then take the BARB test. The time it takes will depend on your age, your availability and opportunites available.

7. ok cheers for the help

8. It has it's plus points and negatives. I mean, you really do have to be sure about it. If you plan to make a career out of it, it's good to get training done, just after you left school. Instead of being out of school for a few years and becoming a lazy student, then you'll probably be worse than you would have been if you joined right after you left school.

I joined just when i turned 17, I'm glad i done it. For you there is no rush at all, nothing wrong with a bit of life experiance before you go in by holding off a few years.

Sounds a bit contradictory, and it is, but depends on what type of person you are.

9. I joined at 16 and left 24 years later having had a fantastic time!

10. ok i have just looked into the afc is this where all people who join my age go?, also do you get to choose what regiment/corps you go into or are you simply posted to one, sorry about all the questions.

11. I joined at 15, done 35 years now and still serving.

12. I was in school on the friday and in the mob on the monday.Do it mate.Some will say ''live a bit first'' but what are you going to miss if you join up at 16 instead of later?.You will have money in your back pocket,loads of like minded mates and have a few stories for your mates when get home on leave.

13. I joined at 16 and spent a fantastic 13 years in green. Do it is all I can say. You will earn more than your mates who either choose to do nothing, or go to college\uni. By the time they have graduated you will have more life experience than 10 of them rolled up and be debt free (unless you are an idiot of course) to perhaps do uni later, but chances are you will be very employable from the word go.

14. This is where the majority of people your age will start off - it is a very good stepping stone to starting your military career. You will choose your trade & cap badge prior to starting - this will be done during your AFCO / ACIO visits.