Joining at 16.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Maxmw123, Jun 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all. I am really stuck I am 15 and I will be leaving school next year and am hoping to join the army at 16... But there is a problem my mum isn't letting me leave school... What should I do? Any advice? Cheers!
    Max.

2. Stab the ol' trout with a rusty bread knife, that'll ******* learn her!

3. Haha!! Don't think that would sort her.... Haha. Do I have rights in this? Can she legally stop me? Coz if she stops me I'm running away...

4. A little harsh.

Your mother is likely worried that you will put yourself at a severe disadvantage in later life if you join up instead of achieving your full acedemic potential first.
    Is she pushing you towards A-Levels and Uni etc?
    If so, why dont you want to do these first?

If you are dead set on joining at the earliest oppertunity then you should re-assure her and do your research. Find out what qualifications you can study for in your chosen regiment. Apprenticships are available and study is generally encouraged throughout.
    To join up you need your parents permission up to the age of 18. So you could just wait til then.

What Regiment do you want to join?

5. I guess but I have my mind set... I want to try to get into the paras. I know it will be hard but I am determined. So If I don't have my parents permission I am not allowed to join fullstop until the age of 18?

6. Yes she can legally and no running away is a shit idea. Distance would not matter, she'll still be your mother! Plus you'll need somebody to do your washing when your on leave!

7. I did, but that was into the REME Boys School, aka Army Apprentices College at Arborfield to learn a trade. But that was in the '60s and I don't know what the current opportunities are, in terms of enlistment. Trust me, get a decent education and then enlist.

8. Oh that sucks. So basically I'm fucked...? My mum says she wants me to become an officer but I don't want that at all. Because wouldn't joining as an officer limit my chances of joining the paras? And I would hugely prefere being a squaddie.

9. Not at all! You get officers in every regiment.

Problem is that if you **** off your studies, join up and then hate it, it will be difficult to get back into education.

You need to look at the long term implications of joining up. Look at other regiments/corps to see what skills they will give you for later life.
    Also look at the reasons you want to join, will those reasons still be there in 5 years, 10 years, maybe you get married, have kids. Dont join cos it looks like fun, its not always fun.

10. Cheers man. It's just I really don't know what to do with myself at the moment. One part of me wants to join as soon as possible and the other side of me wants me to finish my education. But I swear the paras only take a handful of people from sandhurst? So wouldn't that limit my chances?

11. H3

H3 LE

Go and speak to the nice man at your local ACIO ....... if Mum doesn't sign your not getting in until your 18 at the earliest ..... you'll still need to get an education and what happens if all your Grades are crap ...... do you think the Army want thick buggers these days ...... no they don't !

See what type of results you get from doing the online BARB test below .

Recruitment tests - British Army Website

12. Take advantage of the free education your entitled to before the age of 19 I'd suggest

13. Ok thanks guys will do

14. my son (6th form) went off to the ACIO one day - cue me phoning my mate who works there to give him the required answers.
    "Dad, they told me to stay in 6th form, go to uni, get a degree then go to RMAS"
    "you don't say? well best listen to their advice eh son?"
    like ppl have said, once you leave education you ain't getting back in . stick it out, get as good a head start as you can.

15. Simple get your education first, mums always know best... as in time you will find out I did