joining as officer

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by llyw, Jul 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to join the TA as an officer, i only have 140 ucas points, are exceptions made?

2. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Nope - unless you have a degree then the requirement is there for a reason.

3. i see, do you know if NVQ's can count towards it?

4. Hi ilyw,

For a breakdown on UCAS points check this link:

Tariff Tables | UCAS | UCAS Tariff Table & UCAS Tariff Points

Another strategy would be to take a part time HND and then after completing that then do part time honours year of your degree at a university or college.

Time for completion 2-3 years max.

5. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Good advice given by manpads. Do you also have the requisite GCSE's? A minimum of 35 ALIS points from the top 7 GCSE's which must include Maths, English Language and a science or foreign language at grade C or above

6. cool thanks for the advice. I was just wondering, as in the job searches on the Army website it says "you should have 240" sounded like there was room for leeway.

7. sup rec, yeah i have 12 GCSE's 1A 1C rest B's

8. [h=3]Certificate of Personal Effectiveness (CoPE)[/h][TABLE="width: 1"]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: tableheader, bgcolor: #69187F"]Grade[/TH]
    [TH="class: tableheader, bgcolor: #69187F"]Tariff points[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="bgcolor: #FDF2FF"]Pass[/TD]
    [TD="bgcolor: #FDF2FF"]70[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Read a summary of the Certificate of Personal Effectiveness and access the full Expert Group report.

What in God's name is a Certificate of Personnel Effectiveness? You may as well have a note from your Mum: 'Oh go on, please let him in, he was such a lovely little boy'

9. Do you have any of the following:

A cycling proficiency badge?
    A membership for the Tufty Club?
    A Blue Peter Badge (triple points for a Gold one)?

They will all help with entry in the TA.

Failing that, try and get really good at a sport (say maybe Tennis) and win a major Championship (something like Wimbledon) and then the Prime Minister will grant you immunity from entry standards; together with your very own Knighthood.