Joining as an Officer.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by DaleS89, Apr 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello everyone,

I've decided to join the Army as an Officer and was pretty set on an RMP Officer. Now after speaking to ACA he has swayed my mind after telling me basically its a desk job, which i'm not interested in. He then suggested other officer roles such as an Infantry Platoon commander, Artillery Troop Officer and a Tank Troop Commander. All three seem really exciting and interesting.

I was wondering if anyone has a personal experience of these roles and would be able to give me a bit of an insight.

Many thanks.
    Dale

2. CJM

CJM Old-Salt

3. If the idea of being an RMP officer floats your boat, ask your ACA to book you on a FAM visit to them, or email them directly if they won't do it.

Don't let your ACA put you off something if you are particularly keen. Better to go on a FAM visit and get a first hand idea than just rely on someone telling you that you won't enjoy it!

4. Join the RMP after all the whole Army loves them to bits.
    And you get a nice red beret to wear, what more could a young officer want?

5. He did mention doing a few FAM visits so will be keen to find out a bit more.
    The reason I instinctively chose the RMP's is because i've done a Police degree and seen them as hand in hand, So maybe its something i'm not dead set on. What I do know is that i do want to sign up. He did seem quite biased towards infantry, but we will see. thanks for your reply.

6. CJM

CJM Old-Salt

If you don't mind me asking, what on earth is a "police degree"?

7. Rrrroxanne, you don't have to put on the red light! What's lyrical genius got to do with the RMP?

• Like Like x 1
  8. RLC, RE and AAC are other options. If you want to actively nick wrong uns, most of that is done by NCOs in the RMP. The Army is made up of tribes so don't be surprised when an ACA steers you towards his. Fam visits are the way to go.

9. Sorry I should have been more specific, It was called Police Sciences Basically just broken down into, criminal law, forensic sciences, Criminal law and social sciences and stuff like strategic management and leadership.

10. Def get yourself on a fam visit fella. Slightly curious how the ACA thought it was just a desk job ... Try telling that to the RMP Pl Comds in the PBs and FOBs on Herrick. V few 'desk only' jobs these days and most of those are being slashed.

11. That the one at Cardiff?

12. Pontypridd so basically Cardiff yeah.

13. He said to me that he thinks it would be a very boring job for me. I researched the role as much as I could on the internet and understand that there will be a lot of paperwork, But surely that's not there main role? I mean how much actually investigative work would an RMP actually do?

14. You won't have to make an arms choice until your second term at Sandhurst. By all means have an idea as you will need one for your interviews but after your first term you will have a much better idea of what you want to do/best suited to! I went on a few FAM visits before I changed my application and they're awesome; especially if, like me. you've never been in a military environment before!

15. Not correct I'm afraid. You narrow it down to 2 choices within the first five weeks of sandhurst.