Joining as an Officer in 30’s

Truxx

LE
Many congrats @BdrBeaumont.

You will not be the first old bastard and you wont be the last. And anyway, the age gap is not so great these days, most will have had a gap year then 3 or even 4 years at uni before arriving at Sandhurst.

If you can find yourself someone to help out with your physical preparation that would be good. Someone with the evil mind of a PTI. Interestingly a veterans group (full of many quite young folk but vets non the less) local to me are providing al la carte beastings for all ages, but especially those who find that being run ragged helps their mental wellbeing. As others have said it isnt about being a racing snake, it is about robustness. Weights and free swimming would be helpful. Take up orienteering if you can, although time is relatively short, as cunning running is a good confidence builder.

Other than that get linked into your arm or service of choice and make sure that they love you. Then relax and get yourself as healthy as you can before the big day.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Hopefully I can get back on track with my training and get to where I was in short time, but I’ll be playing it by ear.
Having had to do that path last year, I'd recommend, or pass on a recommendation at least, for long slow cardio - ultra slow untaxing stuff. It's more about re-acclimatising your cardiovascular system to where it was before, than trying to quickly build fitness (which would usually mean high intensity work).

If you can get your hands on a rowing machine, that was a lifesaver as it builds / maintains muscle at the same time as aerobic fitness.

PS This may have changed, but not so long ago "confirmed cadet" meant that the regiment which confirmed you had to take you if nobody else would, but did not mean that you had to choose that regiment as a first choice of arm. Worth keeping an open ear on that one if you are uncertain.

@Brotherton Lad presumably might be more up to date than me?

@TheSockPuppet I’d primarily been focusing on my phys. Like you say, I’ve got years working against me somewhat. I was working on all around fitness to help build that robustness. All of that training has taken a big hit in the last 2 weeks though as I finally managed to catch the virus (less than a week after having my first jab too!). It’s really knocked me for 6. Hopefully I can get back on track with my training and get to where I was in short time, but I’ll be playing it by ear.

Thanks for the rest of the tips. It seems from your advice and that from others that going into the course with a healthy measure of humility is invaluable. Nobody likes a throbbed after all. I’m genuinely looking forward to my first Tp Comd!
Best of luck with the course and I hope you recover soon.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Having had to do that path last year, I'd recommend, or pass on a recommendation at least, for long slow cardio - ultra slow untaxing stuff. It's more about re-acclimatising your cardiovascular system to where it was before, than trying to quickly build fitness (which would usually mean high intensity work).

If you can get your hands on a rowing machine, that was a lifesaver as it builds / maintains muscle at the same time as aerobic fitness.

PS This may have changed, but not so long ago "confirmed cadet" meant that the regiment which confirmed you had to take you if nobody else would, but did not mean that you had to choose that regiment as a first choice of arm. Worth keeping an open ear on that one if you are uncertain.

@Brotherton Lad presumably might be more up to date than me?
That's my understanding. A confirmed cadet can decide to try elsewhere. Regimental Selection Boards are about to start, a little later than usual (Covid related drag), for the majority of the OCdts about to commission. They have now decided on their two cap-badge preferences.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Slowly but surely building my phys and stamina up. Looks like I've dodged long covid so I'm looking all set for Sept start!
Rowing was a great shout @Sarastro, thanks
Glad it's going well for you.

Rowing is quite an overlooked and underused training for base military fitness, I feel. So long as your technique is ok, it develops all the right bits for carrying weight (core, legs, back), and it's great aerobic fitness too, with zero impact stress. In terms of bang for your buck, that's certainly better than any of the other common aerobic sports such as running, cycling, etc. That said, you can't just do one thing and then expect to cross-deck immediately into another activity, so make sure you keep up some walking / tabbing / running on the side so your specific fitness stays in the game.

Re: long covid. I didn't get it in any meaningful way either, but I did get random heart palpitations for about 9 months subsequently, which is reportedly a common after-effect if you've had it badly. Might be worth looking out for, because anything that causes heart irregularities + intense exercise strain can take you down pretty quickly (over the years there have been a number of deaths on mil exercises due to un-diagnosed conditions like this). Sandhurst, you'll hopefully be aware, occasionally puts you under intense exercise strain. This may well not be you, and be an individual or age thing, but if it is, best not ignore it!