Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining as an Officer in 30’s

BdrBeaumont

Swinger
Just a quick update. I passed AOSB MB and I will be looking at the September intake. Any ideas on best ways to prep for the CC in the intervening 7 months?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Just a quick update. I passed AOSB MB and I will be looking at the September intake. Any ideas on best ways to prep for the CC in the intervening 7 months?

Congratulations. Physical fitness and up to speed on current affairs. Learn how to use a map and a compass. Soldiers hate being taken the wrong way.

Covid permitting, you'll see me in one of my dodgy collection of shirts.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

This will give you a flavour. Are you coming from being a Bdr? The youngest ex-ranker I've met was just two years in as a Guardsman. Now commissioned.

BdrBeaumont

Swinger
This will give you a flavour. Are you coming from being a Bdr? The youngest ex-ranker I've met was just two years in as a Guardsman. Now commissioned.

Ex scaly back. I’ve been out for about 8 years

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
The oldest OCdt I've met was 34, the youngest was 18. The average age is about 24. Well done for AOSB.

See you in September. Lock down appears to be on the mend and you will meet some fascinating people from more than 40 countries.

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer

No names and no pack drill, but you will get the chance to meet people from the west coast of Latin America, via North America, the Caribbean, Europe, Africa, both sides of the Middle East, former Soviet states, the Indian sub-continent, the Far East and all the way to Fiji. Never a dull day.

These are the people you will be working with in the future, so get to know them. Learn a language or three.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Congratulations and all best wishes for the commissioning course. Are you hoping for the Royal Corps when you commission?

chimera

LE
Congratulations.

Brotherton Lad gives some great advice above, but a couple of other thoughts.

You will have an huge advantage on arrival in that you have been through Army training before, so you will not experience the "shock of capture" of some of the others.

Your basic skills should be (or soon will be) well above the others - use this to you advantage, not by sitting back and relaxing, but by staying ahead of the game: when they are on lesson 1, you want to thinking about lesson 5.

Fitness, fitness, fitness. This is not about being a gym queen, but it is easier to command a platoon in the attack, or whatever it is you are picked for on a particular day, if you are not breathing out of your hoop.

Avoid a constant stream of "...when I was in etc etc..". Ears open, mouth shut (just like basic), but don't be afraid to help others around you that are struggling (and be seen to be doing so, but don't big yourself up).

If you are not already interested in politics, world affairs, etc start reading, and have a go at some of the classic miitary stuff (not Bravo Two Zero, but things like Slim's Defeat into Victory), and look at websites such as RUSI.

Look beyond CC to what you might be doing in your Corps: if there is any technical stuff you might brush up on, then use the time now.

Enjoy RMAS!

BdrBeaumont

Swinger
Congratulations.

Brotherton Lad gives some great advice above, but a couple of other thoughts.

You will have an huge advantage on arrival in that you have been through Army training before, so you will not experience the "shock of capture" of some of the others.

Your basic skills should be (or soon will be) well above the others - use this to you advantage, not by sitting back and relaxing, but by staying ahead of the game: when they are on lesson 1, you want to thinking about lesson 5.

Fitness, fitness, fitness. This is not about being a gym queen, but it is easier to command a platoon in the attack, or whatever it is you are picked for on a particular day, if you are not breathing out of your hoop.

Avoid a constant stream of "...when I was in etc etc..". Ears open, mouth shut (just like basic), but don't be afraid to help others around you that are struggling (and be seen to be doing so, but don't big yourself up).

If you are not already interested in politics, world affairs, etc start reading, and have a go at some of the classic miitary stuff (not Bravo Two Zero, but things like Slim's Defeat into Victory), and look at websites such as RUSI.

Look beyond CC to what you might be doing in your Corps: if there is any technical stuff you might brush up on, then use the time now.

Enjoy RMAS!
Some great advice thanks. I’ve found a few unofficial Sandhurst reading lists so I’ve started making my way through those. With regards to what I might do when joining the Signals, I have something in mind but might need to spoke to someone in the Corps. Are you in the Signals or do you know someone who is I could ask?

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Some great advice thanks. I’ve found a few unofficial Sandhurst reading lists so I’ve started making my way through those. With regards to what I might do when joining the Signals, I have something in mind but might need to spoke to someone in the Corps. Are you in the Signals or do you know someone who is I could ask?
Definitely keep reading. As an experienced soldier you will sail through the first term and will be helping your fellows and making some great and life-long mates. I don't know your academic background but you will be up against Oxbridge types on that side of the fence, so get your mates onside in the first term and they will return the favour later.

It is all about teamwork, but there is a competitive edge as well.

First off, brilliant news about AOSB MB. Well done. Don't get too fussed about age. TACOS are changing and age will be increasingly irrelevant. You might pick up some seniority from your soldier service but a HR ninja will be better placed to let you know that. If you think about future timelines you should be in line for Major at 40 and Lt Col in your late 40s. You know the Corps you're joining and you will arrive with a decent degree of credibility. As to prep, get fit, learn about leadership, square away any life admin that might get in the way of training and throw yourself into RMAS headfirst. Good luck!

chimera

LE
Not R Sigs.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I can probably sort you out with a conversation with someone who might be in the know. Drop me a PM.

Latest Threads