Joining as an officer and aiming for the royal engineers

Eddard

Crow
Hello, I am currently studying engineering at university and I have been trying to research the actual role and jobs carried out by a royal engineer troop officer however I am struggling to find any detailed infomation on the exact role and jobs they carry out and would like to find out more about this. How much of the job actually involves engineering or is it more on the man management and dicispline side of work. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Which Uni are you at as most have a UOTC attached and this will give you an insight to the Army.

What engineering degree are you doing, Civil, Mechanical, Avionics, Aerospace as this might alter your choice?

Eddard

Crow
Which Uni are you at as most have a UOTC attached and this will give you an insight to the Army.

What engineering degree are you doing, Civil, Mechanical, Avionics, Aerospace as this might alter your choice?
I’m studying Civil engineering so thought royal engineers would be the perfect fit. I have registered my interest to join the UOTC but have to weight for the new academic year to join but might not be successful because I will be starting my final year. I’m hoping to go on some squadron visits at some point as well. Just trying to gain as much infomation as possibly really!

Issi

War Hero
I don't want to sound funny, but I'd tidy up your spelling before attending Sandhurst. It's wait not weight.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Tell you what I haven't heard - any mention of commanding soldiers. That's kind of an important part of the job of any officer.

chimera

LE
Firstly, repeat this question in the Sapper Forum, and you will get answers from real life Sapper officers.

Secondly look here: Engineer Troop Officer - British Army Jobs

The RE Officer Familiarisation visit is excellent, but you will not get on it unless you are registered in the Recruiting system. Do this as soon as possible, time is everything.

Lastly, the recruiting blurb will tell you that you make a final choice of the Regiment/Coprs you wish to join at Sandhurst. This is partly true, but the reality is that you express a preference; the reality is that the Sappers are a popular choice, so the Corps is able to pick and choose who it takes. Clearly as a Civil Engineering graduate you are a logical choice, but if you are lurking in the bottom third at RMAS you might be disappointed.

Last edited:

Latest Threads