Joining as an Army Officer with a Police Caution

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by John_8888, Nov 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I just started my final year of university and want to apply to join the Army as an Officer when I graduate. As it stands I think I would have a reasonably good chance of succeeding, however I have one significant problem, which I have outlined below.

To keep it brief, a couple of months ago I was in a nightclub with a girl I know, fairly drunk, when a random guy nearby made a stupid, insulting comment. The first time I laughed it off, however he made another similar comment, which annoyed me sufficiently turn towards him and argue back. After a few seconds of arguing he slapped me in the face, not particularly hard but not exactly lightly either. At that point I completely lost my temper and swung at him a few times, giving him a split lip. I was subsequently arrested and accepted a simple caution for common assault, which seemed to be the only option as there was plenty of evidence to convict me and the guy's slap was not considered sufficient grounds to make what I did self-defence.

Since then I have quit drinking alcohol completely, which isn't much fun as a student but which I'm pretty confident I'll stick to for the foreseeable future (i.e. many years). Given that, I'm highly confident in saying that I will never do anything of this sort again.

I have read what I could find online about this, however any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for reading,

John

2. OK, I'll say it...

Have you tried, say, asking the AFCO?

3. You and your crazy, madcap ideas..

• Like Like x 3
  4. So, you get a girly slap in a nightclub, loose it and get a caution for common assault? Since then you have given up drinking beacuse you don't have the self control not to loose it again and you now want to be an Army Officer? I haven't a clue what the answer to your question is but good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Don't worry. I served with an officer who had a conviction for pissed shoplifting of a light switch (a proper conviction - no girly cautions in those days).

He ended up as a 3 ring Commander (= Lt Col) and the supply officer in the Ark Royal. Strangely enough, that was around the time it got stranded in the Indian Ocean because one of the turbines broke down and they found that the spare one was missing. Tried to limp back to Mombassa only to find that the fuel tanks had been siphoned and then topped up with waste cooking oil from the galley.

Anyway, he did very well. Now retired and living a millionaire lifestyle by all accounts.

• Like Like x 7
  6. John, it may or may not be an issue, but if you don't apply you'll never find out. You've got the caution now, there's nothing you can do aout it.

My advice is be honest about it. If you don't disclose it and they find out (which they will) it's an integrity issue and your application will never succeed.

7. If you get a caution while Commissioned, it can result in discharge.

To be honest, the Army can do without Officers who can't control themselves.

8. Are you including the RLC there?

• Like Like x 2
  9. I really cannot be arrsed doing your groundwork for you, but I think you may be struggling to get in, until the conviction is regarded as spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act.

Then again I could be talking out of my arrse.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Caution not conviction? I'd ask.
    Good luck with the non drinking, related to the caution?

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 2
  14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Frankly if you are weak enough to be bullied into accepting a caution rather than stand your ground and fight for a self defence case based on a genuine belief that you faced danger due to the other party having already struck you once then you don't deserve to commission.

How on earth are you going to stick up for your blokes when they go to court for fighting if you can't even look after yourself in such a simple case?

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. Just make sure you declare it at all times and you should be fine. Loads of Army Officers have blemishes like this and no one seems to care. They are not looking to recruit choir boys

• Like Like x 1