Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joining as Ammunition Technician?

I thought that. But then I also thought I might get laughed at for being a CS scrote and not being fit to wear the uniform etc.
So you ask the question on a website full of piss taking arrseholes on a Friday night:)

Good luck.

Got my first interview next week. Looking forward to it now. Just wondering if anyone on here knows what the likelihood of an LE commission is as an ammunition technicion? Are they fairly rare or is it another step in the career of a successful WO in the trade?

Probable more than possible.

So forgive me for asking, but if I were to join the RLC as an officer, would it still be possible to train as a bomb disposal chap? I know most of the ops are over so there's currently not as high of a demand for them as there was; but Britain never seems to stay out of anything so there must still be a need to train staff.
I currently work at Kineton as a CS and I'd rather like to do something more exciting and worthwhile.

Yes.

Idlewild,
, rather than the ramblings of the old and bold former ATs, ATOs that post on here;).

Oi. I resemble that remark!

Plenty of opportunities to do EOD work in 11 Regt. As an AT you will probably spend a significant chunk (>50%) of your career on an EOD team. As an officer, probably a first tour and then maybe back later in command role when they are not making you do proper logistics

Idlewild

Swinger
What would 'proper' logistics consist of? I only ask because I'm currently responsible for the road movement of all of the munitions into and out of Kineton and Gosport; and it isn't much fun.

What would 'proper' logistics consist of? I only ask because I'm currently responsible for the road movement of all of the munitions into and out of Kineton and Gosport; and it isn't much fun.

Never heard logistics referred to as 'proper' logistics. What you are doing is part of the logistic chain. Logistics can get quite complicated to explain. In its simplest term it is from the user initially demands an item to when the user receives said item.

Are you military or civilian?

Why do you find it tedious? Does AMANDA make it too easy, boring and repetitive?

Idlewild

Swinger
I'm civilian as it stands.
My job isn't so much tedious, aside from the minutiae of road haulage legislation and the inevitable filling out of paperwork. It's more the lack of training, lack of opportunity for advancement and poor management that is quick to blame. Moving explosives from one place to another just doesn't thrill me; but that may be because I am quite hands off to the actual process.

I don't know what AMANDA is.

That and DE&S is being privatised soon, and then the job will likely become much worse.

Last edited:
I see, my mistake, I thought you were in the movements cell.

Are you at Kineton?

If so there are always different roles on offer and various training opportunities.

Otherwise join up and become an AT.

Yep, that's tedious.

Are they Investors in people? Do they encourage personal development?

Look at getting on a few courses - Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor, ADR instructor, Government Authorised Explosive Rep, to name a few.

Idlewild

Swinger
I'd like to do all of those. But unfortunately all I've been entitled to get was ADR awareness and NEBOSH Health and safety at work. I'll be doing a manager's CPC, and hopefully the 'New to managing in Defence' at Cranfield. But other than that, things are a bit sparse.

Leave, become an AT.

Idlewild

Swinger
It certainly is tempting! I don't know if I have what it takes to get through Sandhurst. It's either that or join the RAF as an ATCO. I also have an interview pending with Army HQ that if successful, would make me a C2; but I've no idea whether that would be more of the same.

Don't bother with Sandhurst, go Ammo Tech instead of ATO.

As an AT you spend your career in the trade, as an ATO you'll spend a couple of years then end up doing other things, some of it quite dull.

Psychopomp

Old-Salt
I've been looking into transferring into the ammo tech trade with a mind to go EOD, I don't want to go to my TSM/RCMO without having all my facts straight about the training and career path towards EOD however, where would be the best place to get up to date info?

I've tried to find out on the net and through the RLC chaps posted to my regt but a lot of the info is contradicting.

Some are spinning dits about EOD being entirely seperate from RLC and RE now but I haven't found anything official to support that.

EOD is part of the AT/ATO trade and just like the fellas in the Wedge it's not 100% of the time.

I'd hope that your RCMO would be able to signpost you the correct way or at least get in touch with the Ammo Tech desk at Glasgow.

@Idlewild stop mincing about and get talking to the Ammo Techs at Kineton. I'm sure you've noticed the massive "Welcome Home" sign as you drive onto site. It's the home of the AT trade. :rolleyes:

As an AT you spend your career in the trade, as an ATO you'll spend a couple of years f**king stuff up then end up doing other things, all of it quite dull.

Corrected your post there Dingerr.