joining as a sparky

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by t-rex, Jul 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello all. I've applied to join the army making RE electrcian as first choice. My question, is do you have to do any tests to be a sparky in the engineers. I'm aware that at RSC you have to do a maths test, but apart from that is there any aplitude tests or any other
    sort? and what standered of maths do you need to learn in the trade?

cheers all

2. Spotted on the Random Quote on the Index Page:
    Don't know why, but Electrician RE sprang to mind.....

The educational capacitance of an Electrician RE is necessarily of a high order. Ohm my God, any resistance to, or insulation from current standards will surely pull the plug on promotion prospects of a wannabe sparky, certainly at such an early phase. There is clearly no parallel to this gender-changing community and no connection to other trades.

Fitness plays a part, sparkies probably get more involved in circuit training than the average PTI. (He he, now there's a slogan for a T shirt).

Use the power of your intellect and socket to 'em. I've done my best to generate interest in this trade, if you want more answers, cable RSME - they're human and don't hide behind gold braid.

3. You do need to be good at maths if you want to be a sparky. As far as I know the first month of the course is an assement and they only take the top 10 guys (or girls). Good luck!

4. cheers for that info plant_life. how many proplr are usualyt in this first month assessment? and what would happend if you fail?

5. To be a sparky in the engineers you'll need to do a 6 week assesment and provided you get over 60% on all your tests you'll pass. The maths isn't too hard. The first week of the assesment is all maths revision with a test at the end. If you pass that maths paper then you'll have no problem on the rest of the assesment or the course for that matter. If you do have any trouble you can always use ya action man eyes and peek at the geezers paper next to you.

6. I think 15 start the course, I don't the full ins and outs of it though. I believe that if you get over 60 percent you get another go at the assessment, if you don't you have to re trade.

7. i am a sparks fella & yes as stated your maths does need to be pretty good OR you may find it hard.

without a doubt this is the best trade within the corps, in my honest opinion.

any further queries then pm me & i will answer them as best i can.

8. Why?

9. because i am one :? :? :? :?

10. Nice and objective then eh Knocker? They're the best because I'm one.

11. needs no more reason, does it :?: :?: :?: :?:

12. You're not 9 Sqn as well are you?

13. :omfg: :omg: :omfg: :omg: :omfg: :omg: :omfg: :omg: :omfg: :omg: :omfg: :omg: :omfg: :omg:

no fella i am not. 8O 8O 8O 8O

there are many trades within the corps that i think are worthwhile & handy once you get fed up of the job & to me personally i think being a sparks is the muts-nuts. (others that i would recommend are hvac, plumber & surveyor BUt do not tell anyone i said that)

14. We'll make it our little secret...

15. I'd just like to point out to our friend that if he becomes a sparky he will have to put up with the girliest tool box this side of the Royal Corps of Signals.

That's probably why it suits Knocker down to the ground :D