Joining as a South African

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Saffa20, Oct 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi There

I am currently 20 years old and am studying a Bcom Accounting Degree(hopefully with honours). I am a South African.

I am planning on joining the Paras or Marines in 2013. This has literally been my life long dream.

What will the budget cut mean for overseas recruiting? Do you think they'll cut on recruiting? or on Big things- Like the Ark Royal and Harriers?- This is very sad.

I hope they reconsider their cuts.
  2. In all probability they won't reconsider the cuts.

I don't know your answer but isn't South Africa going to ban their citizens in serving foreign armies very soon?
  3. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they cant ban you from joining under the commonwealth scheme which isnt likely to change unless they use the cuts to trim out the fijians, ugandans and nepalis currently making up huge amounts of the manning lists.

they have already stopped soldiers taking sabbaticals and working in the private security industry after the issues in iraq.

apply now, get accepted and if nothing else it helps your residency arguament.

if your degree is in counting things then I wouldnt bother with the paras.
  4. I've heard of the Mercenary Act. I dont think its in effect yet. Besides its to spite those of us with lighter skins if you catch my drift. They are just jealous because they will never match up to the old SA army- which according to some sources was top 10 in the world, and most certainly the best in Africa, along with the Rhodies.

Why do you say if I have an accounting degree I shouldnt worry with the Paras? From a financial point of view?
  5. Grumblegrunt is alluding to the fact that the Parachute Regiment is mocked by the rest of the British Army for their less cerebral approach to fighting. In reality Paras aren't any more or less thick than any other Infantry regiment. However with a degree in accountancy it might be worth looking at other units (with a P-Coy/AACC sub unit) that could be a better use for your degree. At the end of the day I'm not saying don't do Infantry because I had a lot of fun doing it, but am finding the more cerebral aspects of my new Corps to be just as interesting and challenging.
  6. Overseas recruiting is as yet unaffected by the budget cuts, that is, all (eligible) comers are still being taken on as long as they make the grade.

You will need a British passport to join the Royal Marines.

If you're planning on joining as an officer you will need to be resident in the UK for at least 5 years first.
  7. Ha ha. I've heard the Marines and Paras dont like each other very much. I would like to use my degree and was looking at the Finance/HR department, but I dont want to be a jam stealer. If I join a combat unit, naturally I would like to see action, without sounding gung-ho.
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

they are breeds apart but all the paras I met and worked with just wanted to throw me out of the pub window for some reason. it might have changed but their attitude towards education was a bit brutal back then. the marines were a bit more welcoming more conversant.... and taller.

and in the paras you might bump into mike golden and get a pasting for being on arrse :)
  9. Thanks for all the advice.
  10. Indeed, when I was in the Army, the Parachute Regiment had a higher aggregate level of intelligence than any other infantry unit in the Army. (Wife no1 worked in Families Housing and Welfare and somehow managed to get hold of the figures. Additionally, they had the lowest per capita rate of arrests in Aldershot for any major unit). But never let the facts get in the way of banter :)

That said, infantry work - PARA, RM, or otherwise - is not always the most intellectual of work, but it does require intelligence to be a good soldier, NCO, or Officer. I would suggest applying for a commission in PARA, RM, or Inf. If the system has not changed, as a commonwealth member you would have to enlist in the ranks before being able to go to RMAS.

I thought the 'Mercenary Act' had been kicked into touch. I think it was aimed more at PMCs rather than National Armed Forces (although I did hear a rumour about 5 years ago that the RSA Government had asked the UK Government to limit recruitment because they did not want a lot of highly trained [white] saffas returning to the mother country).
  11. The residency requirement could be waived in the past - it was when I joined 20 years ago. I think it had to be authorised at quite a high level but it was just seen as matter of course back then. I have been categorically assured by someone from an AFCO that this has never been the case but clearly this is incorrect so best to thoroughly check this out no matter what you're told in an AFCO.

Check the Army website here for residency and nationality requirements - Nationality and residency - British Army Website which for Officer actually states:

As for the RN/RM check here - the entire residency requirement seems to resolve around security checks.

12. Fixed that fer ya!
  13. The old rule was 18 months nationality service prior to commissioning.

A chap here went in AAC 2 years ago and is doing very well, heading for Cpl Heli wings, his father is very proud.

Not sure where you are based in SA but would be delighted to give advice if i can.
  14. When considering the matter of residency and so on it is important to remember that it is all a question of vetting and nothing more. The Defence Vetting Agency has the last word on whether or not you are 'secure'.

Saffa, without casting aspersions on your circumstances or intent the trick if anything would be to convince the AFCO to send off a case for a waiver which they are not confident about (and therefore may be a waste of time and money) to the DVA.