Joining as a Soldier with a Degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, All.

Have searched through the site to death, but am yet to find a post which relates to my question.

I am about to finish a degree in Law and History and I'm looking to join the Royal Tank Regiment or the Royal Military Police as a Soldier, first preference being RMP. My recruiter has spoken at length with me as to why I don't want to apply for RMAS and look at Officer entry. In short, I wanted to join the Army at age 18 (as a Soldier, same regiments as above) but was persuaded by my parents to go to Uni and look at my options then. It's now four years on and I still want to do the same as i did at age 18.

Basically, my question is: How common is it to find soldiers with degrees? Will my degree help me in my career as a Soldier?

Thanks in advance for the replies, happy to answer more questions if you've got them.

L/CPL Monkey LLB(Hons) has a certain ring to it.

Lots and lots of soldiers have degrees, you will not be anything special

Most of my soldiers have degrees or at least went to University. You'll be fine.

Cheers, albeit sarcastic, it has helped. My mates that are Soldiers and the ex Service lads I play rugby with said they hadn't met anyone with a degree as a Soldier, but I did find the Graduate Soldier leaflet on the Army Careers website helpful.

Hi, All.

Have searched through the site to death, but am yet to find a post which relates to my question.

I am about to finish a degree in Law and History and I'm looking to join the Royal Tank Regiment or the Royal Military Police as a Soldier, first preference being RMP. My recruiter has spoken at length with me as to why I don't want to apply for RMAS and look at Officer entry. In short, I wanted to join the Army at age 18 (as a Soldier, same regiments as above) but was persuaded by my parents to go to Uni and look at my options then. It's now four years on and I still want to do the same as i did at age 18.

Basically, my question is: How common is it to find soldiers with degrees? Will my degree help me in my career as a Soldier?

Thanks in advance for the replies, happy to answer more questions if you've got them.
Well, lots of people in the world and in the Army have degrees. It doesn't make you anything special as you appear to think it will. What will make you special is your continual boasting that you have a degree.

Your choice of RMP seems to suit you well as you do need a "look at me" and a "me me me" attitude.

Wasn't considering myself anything special, just wanted to know how common it is, and now I do!

Why don't you apply for a commisson and see how you go?
Debated with the idea for the past year. Currently, I don't quite think I have what the AOSB will be looking for - and I know I might never find out unless I try but I never intended to go to Uni and but for my going to Uni I would never have considered applying for RMAS. Think if I join as a Soldier I have the next 7 years to see if I can get a commission from there if I'm suitable.

Debated with the idea for the past year. Currently, I don't quite think I have what the AOSB will be looking for - and I know I might never find out unless I try but I never intended to go to Uni and but for my going to Uni I would never have considered applying for RMAS. Think if I join as a Soldier I have the next 7 years to see if I can get a commission from there if I'm suitable.
Put in for a Commission, as you are risking nothing by trying or can't you enter a corps that will set you up with a few skills for the future. To be blunt, RMP are generally regarded as t*ts.

A degree displays a certain level of intelligence. Apparently, as well as intelligence, officers have leadership skills - the two do not go hand in hand which is why there are so many soldiers with degrees (and officers without one).

A degree will not hold you back and will put you in a good position to go for a commission a bit later if you decide to go that route.

Not all RMP are tits, however, Bushmills is right, you get no skills to take out to civilian life, other than management, leadership, investigative etc if that is the way you want to go later on.

Hi, All.

There is 3 soldiers with degrees in my intake at phase 2 RMP. There aren't as rare as you think they are.

Sign of a f*cked economy I suppose.
It's been happening for years... most grads are those who hve obtained their degrees eitehr through service or whilst serving. OU especially, going online, has made it even easier but many other universities have jumped on the bandwagon.

St Andrews often advertises 'distance study' courses on this very site.

There are a fair few though who go to Uni (for the 'experience') realise they've gained nothing and join the Armed Forces for a bit of proper 'experience'. Haven't met that many in the Soldier ranks that have joined for economic reasons...

There is 3 soldiers with degrees in my intake at phase 2 RMP. There aren't as rare as you think they are.
Quite obviously, you are not one of those, judging by your atrocious grammar !

Hi, All.

Last time I heard, the cap badge with the highest percentage of degree-qulaified Rankers was Parachute Regiment, followed closely by R Signals.

In 30yrs mainly infantry service as a commissioned officer, I never met an OR who owned up to having a degree, even among those from the Intelligence Corps who worked for me.

If you choose RMP, be prepared to be disappointed: they are not a police force as the Home Office would understand the term, and I never once had what I would describe as a even a barely satisfactory professional experience involving the RMP, and on that basis would not recommend them to anyone looking for a military career.

Tank Regiment soldiers that I knew were few in number, but for the most part were bright folks, and good company.

As for the extent to which a degree will help, I am cautious - the career structure seems generally to assume that soldiers will enlist with minimal or no educational qualifications, and education-for-promotion courses with exams, are provided as required. It is likely (but should not be taken for granted) that a degree would mean you would not need to sit any of these modules, but I don't know if that would be a significant career advantage: the right techie degree in a techie corps (I'm thinking R Signals) could be a significant career enhancer, but that is irrelevant here.

I guess my personal feeling is that - unless you were intent on a brief military career just for the experience - your degree would be wasted as an OR.

Choice is yours: good luck, whatever your final decision.

I have got 2 degrees actually, and I am starting training as a CMT with the RAMC in February, 2012. The way I look at this whole argument is that having a degree might help in your overall strategic career pursuit when you have completed your contract with the army. I don't see any relevance of my degrees to my present career in the army; but I plan to pursue a career in/around the medical industry when I leave the army (i.e if I survive my contract of course!), and my degrees will definitely help me to achieve this goal.

I have got 2 degrees actually, and I am starting training as a CMT with the RAMC in February, 2012. The way I look at this whole argument is that having a degree might help in your overall strategic career pursuit when you have completed your contract with the army. I don't see any relevance of my degrees to my present career in the army; but I plan to pursue a career in/around the medical industry when I leave the army (i.e if I survive my contract of course!), and my degrees will definitely help me to achieve this goal.
You sound like a Gladiator... survive your contract?

If you have a degree, and it isn't related to your trade, it can be a nause. After all you are intelligent but will be treated as if you are not. It can cause dramas. I remember my SSM telling me one day that 'the Army doesn't pay you to study for a degree'... well, I only needed a day off to take an exam.

I enjoyed forcing the tawt to list me as Sgt Chocolate Frog BSc (Hons).

If you had an LLB and were a monkey... I am not sure. Could be a double edged sword. have you ever thought of being a lawyer officer in the AGC (ALS)? I think (so check) it is a PQO trade, so you'd be in the army but a lawyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads