Joining as a soldier having not made AOSB

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by James1, Feb 8, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    Just got bad news that I didn't pass AOSB, am still awaiting feedback. Panicking a bit, and eager to press on with my career, which was preferably going to be military, can anyone advise as to whether someone in my position would be suited to life as a soldier. I've a 2:1 in Business Studies, am now 24, and crave some sort of challenge and responsibility. Are the Int Corps and RMP a viable option for joining up in the ranks? Can anyone's experience advise as to what life might be like?

Many thanks.

2. Have you got a decent job at the moment?

3. Go smash a shop window, they'll give you a ASBO, if you plead with the judge they even may force you into the military

• Like Like x 1
  4. Recenly left job so no not at the mo

5. Before all these nice people play with you any further get yourself down to the ACIO and have a chat with a Recruiter who can explain the type of jobs you are able to do, obviously your ACA1 will of told you if its worth while having another attempt if allowed to but your age is going against you. Just remember the extra career structures within the REME (Artificer), RE (Clerks of works) Signals (Yeomanry) that could give you extra benefits and also as you said INT Corp/RMP.......theres a lot of good hand on jobs out there that could benefit you in the future with maybe an option later on down the line a LE commission. As said chat to your ACA1 who will give you there input then have a chat with a Recruiter. Just remember though having a degree doesn't automatically get you the job...OK carry on playing.

6. Get down to your ACA and ask them. Is this your seconded failed attempt? You are only 24 you could always get a second go at AOSB if you wanted it badly enough. Was it briefing? If it was briefing and you got a cat 4 I think it’s a straight ‘no thanks’.

7. The only thing that goes through my mind when reading your post is that it sounds a little like "I didn't make it as an officer, I guess being a soldier will have to do?".

I am not saying you don't respect the life of a soldier or anything like that, I am just trying to point out that to join as a soldier you still need the same determination and motivation as joining as an officer. It will not be an easy career and will give you the career you desire, however similar to the position I am in, it would mean sacrificing the much larger salary you could gain in civvie world. For me, I am not a money orientated person and so long as I have enough to get by on I prefer the prospects of being challenged physically and mentally rather than brown nosing for a promotion in an office.

Good luck if you apply as a soldier, but please don't apply without thinking it through and seeing what kind of roles you would wish to aim for. Hopefully you ACO will give you some good information.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks, good advice. Was Main Board in fact so awaiting the verdict and bearing in mind what is said, I may give it a second shot. I was passionate about going to Sandhurst mainly because I wanted to experience soldiering and taking charge of men, so I guess in joining the ranks I would at least have half the deal! I don't want to take a step back however, and want as informed a choice as possible... maybe TA is the way to go to achieve this. And spending time away from it all to see if its something I still want to come back to.

9. As a soldier you still get the full deal, just with less pay. You start off as a grunt but you will gain promotion and will still get to lead men and hopefully rank up as an NCO. You get your hands dirtier than an officer and get to be 'one of the lads'. Personally I hope I make it as an officer, however the only thing I anticipated hating about dropping my application from officer to soldier is knowing that it will mean a few of the more luxurious treats in life are unlikely i.e. nicer car, house etc. Not much of a price to pay for the rewarding lifestyle you get in the army though.

Hopefully your feedback isn't too bad, mind if I ask what didn't go too well?

10. Give it a go then, you are much better off in the Army than the dole. As suggested, go for one of the trades where you need a few brain cells.

11. If in your mind all that separates the role of Officer and Soldier is the pay packet I think you have missed the point. The difference between Officer and Soldier is certainly not just the pay. 'Serve to lead' and all that jazz is quite important! I agree with you when you say that becoming a Soldier requires hard work and the right attitude as well, but you musn't go in thinking that an Officer is simply a better paid Private Soldier. The job role and requirement is very different, and it is down to what you want from a career and your own character/personality as to which will suit you best. I do suggest that you do a little research into it though, as you seem to be a little unclear at the moment.

PS. I may be wrong, as I all I have to go on is a couple of posts.

12. Sorry if my post was ambiguous, I know that there are definitive differences between the two roles. The main point I was trying to say is that entering as a soldier doesn't make you miss-out on much at all compared to an officer. You still get the chance to lead men exactly how an officer does, it is just that you will lead at a slightly lower level and fewer men.

I personally believe that there is very little that an officer does that a career soldier will not get to experience at some level

13. Bad Luck, join up if you wish to or simply listen to what you are advised and posssibly try again. If you are suitable the system will do all it can to both retain and bring you on - so don't give up at the first failure.

Joining as a soldier is obviously an option for you to consider but do think it through first and realise that you will be unlikely to get any real leadership responsibility for at least 2 years after you have finished your training, and that will obviously be after you are accepted for training, make your selections etc.

Your best option is, as advised above, to firstly see what has been said about you, discuss your options with your recruiter and then make up your mind.

14. Thanks for your help. I think I'll discuss options first before making up my mind. It's a pity there's such a disparity between the two entry methods within the army. I'm not sure what went really wrong other than the Planex, which I knew I wouldn't like. Certain aspects of joining as a soldier are very appealing, however I wouldn't want to feel held back from making independent choices, I'd want some sort of ability of effect my own decisions and hold some responsibility for those (within reason). It's a shame, because I was drawn to the military from years back, and using my degree in the city at this stage is something that just does not yet appeal.

15. Hmmmmm. In some senses you are right, however:

My main point which I would make in response is that for someone considering a start in the military, they are unlikely at this stage to be totally certain "yes I want to make a 22 year career out of this". In light of that, they ought to compare a short service commission to the three years you'd spend as a private soldier. I guarantee it will be very different! Sandhurst, YO's course and Troop or Platoon command will offer totally different experiences and rewards to Basic, Phase 2 and then life as a Private/Trooper/Sapper/Gunner/Signaller/Fusilier/Kingsman/Guardsman/Rifleman etc etc etc. Both will be extremely hard work, and hopefully very rewarding, but you will be doing massively different jobs.

I would say that joining as a soldier if you don't pass AOSB is commendable, but it needs to be an informed decision as the individual might regret it otherwise.