Joining as a new dad

WhoHim

Swinger
It is all on the Army career webpage, simply search Army Reserve Officer.

The regular commissioning course lasts for 44 weeks whilst the reserve course is divided into modules or a single 8 week package.

Both options will see you receive your commission on completion of your training at RMAS. Initial officer training is a series of 4 modules.

• Module A & B : These are either broken up into seven weekends with an Officer Training Corps or each done as a consolidated two week course at Sandhurst.
  • Module C: This lasts for two weeks and takes place at Sandhurst.
  • Module D: The two week Army Reserve Commissioning Course at Sandhurst, which is the culmination of your leadership and management training.
Consolidated training courses are run at Sandhurst, allowing you to potentially complete all of your Reserve Officer training in a single eight week package. This is something to discuss with your Candidate Support Manager.
Thanks

I have seen that information on the website. When it comes to UCAS points this is where I fall short as the qualifications I have won’t count (work related but still useful outside the military)

otbc

Swinger
Thanks

I have seen that information on the website. When it comes to UCAS points this is where I fall short as the qualifications I have won’t count (work related but still useful outside the military)
Yes they require certain academic credentials which I’m not sure is completely fair if the process requires the rigorous tests and boards etc.

But I’m glad you know where you want to go and what you want to do. Good luck and please keep us up to date with your journey and your findings.

I don’t know about the Reserves, but I would imagine your best joining your local unit? No point in travelling too far to make a drill night. My nearest Reserve centre is 18 miles away and is infantry.
I’m thinking of applying myself, I did a few years in the regs but have been out for ten years. I’m probably not fit enough though to be honest.

WhoHim

Swinger
I don’t know about the Reserves, but I would imagine your best joining your local unit? No point in travelling too far to make a drill night. My nearest Reserve centre is 18 miles away and is infantry.
I’m thinking of applying myself, I did a few years in the regs but have been out for ten years. I’m probably not fit enough though to be honest.
I’m very lucky as I have two reserve units within 4 miles of each other (one being a mile up the road)

It’s something that’s been on my mind to join for at least a year now and convincing the wife was the biggest hurdle. With a bit of perseverance I managed to get my point across as she doesn’t understand my interest. I volunteered as a special constable for 6 years and I miss the comradeship and the sense of belonging that you get from outside your normal day job. Now that I’m a full time police officer the reserves seems to be a natural (or at least feels) position to be in. Plus having a keen interest in the military has always been with me, just that life choices took me on a different path and I’m more than happy where I am professionally....just need to scratch an old itch of mine!

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Be aware that all police services only permit a percentage of their officers to join the reserve forces. Search your force intranet or liaise with your HR.

Last edited:

WhoHim

Swinger
Be aware that all police services only permit a percentage of their officers to join the reserve forces. Search your force intranet or liaise with your HR.
I have been in touch with senior staff and made them aware. We have a fair few in the reserves and as it’s the civil service they do support you well in the choice

WhoHim

Swinger
I’m MOD plod so it’s a bit different to the home office. I thought the same when joining however it’s a very different atmosphere
Plus with the shift patterns I work, evening and weekends are too much of an issue. Our rota is very fixed and rarely changes and date I say it....quite well run!

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
Then it would appear you have your answer.
Apply to join your local RLC unit as a soldier and not an officer.

Best of luck.

Thanks for all the replies! Particularly Mrsheeny ;)

Ravers - glad to hear that it hasn’t been an issue! That has spurred me on to continue the process.

Whilst I’m here can I assume the reserves would look at current qualifications/skills?

My day job is with the MOD Police (Marine Unit) which comes with various RYA certificates and Police firearms qualifications. Would that assist in my application?

I am aware of the Port and Maritime regiments but have never seen them around!?
I was going to say you can probably catch up on sleep with a reserve weekend Haha.
Until I saw you were Marine unit MOD Plod
Jesus man you must be getting a decent 8 hours per shift. Plus a couple hours fishing

WhoHim

Swinger
I was going to say you can probably catch up on sleep with a reserve weekend Haha.
Until I saw you were Marine unit MOD Plod
Jesus man you must be getting a decent 8 hours per shift. Plus a couple hours fishing
Sssshhh the secret will be blown

You’re lucky having 2 units close to eachother. Like I said, I’m interested but my nearest unit is 18 miles (that’s ok) but an infantry unit. I’m not sure I’m for enough or would even pass their medical for that. I been out over 10 years.
You can join at 50, so I guess you’d have to be above average fitness to pass the course.
Additionally, I believe the Reserves now pay a pension so if I could add that onto my regular service pension that would be a few extra pounds in the bank.
The annual bonus pays for a holiday.

I’m guessing the Reseves are not currently training.I also wonder if that means that they aren’t getting paid for training?

WhoHim

Swinger
I’m guessing the Reseves are not currently training.I also wonder if that means that they aren’t getting paid for training?
As far as I’m aware (always willing to be corrected) training has been stopped but is due to stat up again soon. As for payment I have no idea but assume the same as you

Does anyone know the score on leave with regards to annual camp for example? If you are required to go to annual camp would most employers expect you to take this as annual leave? Or take it as unpaid leave, as the army would be paying this?
Obviously this is largely down to employers, but I’d imagine that most Reservists with families wouldn’t want to use all their summer leave on annual camp, if employers made them use Reservist time as leave.

Intheshed

Swinger
383 CDO RLC is co-located with Port and Maritime at Derriford ARC. If you PM me then I'll forward some contact details. We aren't training at the moment (aside from Lone Soldier phys), but there is someone in the office who you can chat to. We are a small unit, and not officer-heavy so pretty laid back. I'm one of two D&C cops in the unit, so you'll be in good company!

Intheshed

Swinger
Does anyone know the score on leave with regards to annual camp for example? If you are required to go to annual camp would most employers expect you to take this as annual leave? Or take it as unpaid leave, as the army would be paying this?
Obviously this is largely down to employers, but I’d imagine that most Reservists with families wouldn’t want to use all their summer leave on annual camp, if employers made them use Reservist time as leave.
As you say, depends on the employer. The Police give you (effectively) 15 days additional Leave for Armed Forces Reservist training.
Can't think of the last time we had an annual exercise that clashed with the Summer School holidays - they are normally in June or September; and if that doesn't work, then we can usually get a two week course instead.

Intheshed

Swinger
You’re lucky having 2 units close to eachother. Like I said, I’m interested but my nearest unit is 18 miles (that’s ok) but an infantry unit. I’m not sure I’m for enough or would even pass their medical for that. I been out over 10 years.
You can join at 50, so I guess you’d have to be above average fitness to pass the course.
Additionally, I believe the Reserves now pay a pension so if I could add that onto my regular service pension that would be a few extra pounds in the bank.
The annual bonus pays for a holiday.
I rejoined at 50. As long as you are reasonably fit you shouldnt have any issues (assuming you aren't planning on joining Para Reg of course). Without wishing to swing the 'snowflake' lamp, I was genuinely surprised at the comparative lack of fitness of the younger guys on my assessment centre and Phase One Alpha.