Joining as a new dad

WhoHim

Swinger
Hi all

Been interested in joining the reserves for a few months now and was hoping that someone could provide a little insight?

I’m keen on joining the rifles (south west/6 rifles) and it’s an itch I’ve been wanting to scratch for some time now. However as time moves on, so do commitments as I’m now a very proud dad to a three month old boy!

Having had numerous chats with the wife about the commitment (and popping whatever I earn into the boys savings account) I’m now looking to apply.

My day job allows a lot of time for me to commit to the reserves (shift worker) however as I’m a first time dad I’m keen to find out how others have juggled the time with work, family and the reserves?

My biggest hurdle was getting the wife on board with my decision and that hurdle has now been jumped!

I would assume others have been in the same position so any advice or experience shared would be great!

I have an idea what the reserves offer (having had a chat with AFCO) but any advice on that is also very welcome!

Hi all

Been interested in joining the reserves for a few months now and was hoping that someone could provide a little insight?

I’m keen on joining the rifles (south west/6 rifles) and it’s an itch I’ve been wanting to scratch for some time now. However as time moves on, so do commitments as I’m now a very proud dad to a three month old boy!

Having had numerous chats with the wife about the commitment (and popping whatever I earn into the boys savings account) I’m now looking to apply.

My day job allows a lot of time for me to commit to the reserves (shift worker) however as I’m a first time dad I’m keen to find out how others have juggled the time with work, family and the reserves?

My biggest hurdle was getting the wife on board with my decision and that hurdle has now been jumped!

I would assume others have been in the same position so any advice or experience shared would be great!

I have an idea what the reserves offer (having had a chat with AFCO) but any advice on that is also very welcome!
@Bravo_Bravo was a reservist with the Rifles until fairly recently, he may be able to some reasonably up to date gen.

WhoHim

Swinger
Thanks shiny_arrse

As I’ve mentioned it’s been on my mind for a while and with the possibility (let’s be honest....certainty) of a recession around the corner, having an option of going into the regulars should my day job go is also an option!

Mrsheeny

War Hero
End of the day, if it starts to get in the way of family time you reel it in a bit. You can do as little or as much as you want.

Look at it like this, whatever time you spend away from the family with the reserves, immediately afterwards spent at least half the time with the family. Eg away for a weekedn exersize, book the Monday and Tuesday off work to spend it with the family.

On annual 2 week training, book a week away in the sun with the family immediately after. Throw in a couple of dirty weekends away with the Mrs and you've got a rolling pass.

If you need a pass to go skiing in February get her something nice for Christmas, give her one then say 'I'm alright going skiing in Feb arent I darling?' 'Of course dear'.

Just need to keep em sweet.

Endoscope

War Hero
End of the day, if it starts to get in the way of family time you reel it in a bit. You can do as little or as much as you want.

Look at it like this, whatever time you spend away from the family with the reserves, immediately afterwards spent at least half the time with the family. Eg away for a weekedn exersize, book the Monday and Tuesday off work to spend it with the family.

On annual 2 week training, book a week away in the sun with the family immediately after. Throw in a couple of dirty weekends away with the Mrs and you've got a rolling pass.

If you need a pass to go skiing in February get her something nice for Christmas, give her one then say 'I'm alright going skiing in Feb arent I darling?' 'Of course dear'.

Just need to keep em sweet.
We kneel at the feet of a Master....

I say go for it. If you need to miss stuff to focus more on children, you can do.

If you've survived the first three months, you'll be fine from here onwards.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Go for it. Worst case scenario it doesn’t work out with your family arrangements, you can just leave.

At least you gave it a shot.

I’ve been a reservist for my kid’s entire lives. It’s never been a problem and I’m in a role that involves a fair amount of international travel.

WhoHim

Swinger
Thanks for all the replies! Particularly Mrsheeny ;)

Ravers - glad to hear that it hasn’t been an issue! That has spurred me on to continue the process.

Whilst I’m here can I assume the reserves would look at current qualifications/skills?

My day job is with the MOD Police (Marine Unit) which comes with various RYA certificates and Police firearms qualifications. Would that assist in my application?

I am aware of the Port and Maritime regiments but have never seen them around!?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Thanks for all the replies! Particularly Mrsheeny ;)

Ravers - glad to hear that it hasn’t been an issue! That has spurred me on to continue the process.

Whilst I’m here can I assume the reserves would look at current qualifications/skills?

My day job is with the MOD Police (Marine Unit) which comes with various RYA certificates and Police firearms qualifications. Would that assist in my application?

I am aware of the Port and Maritime regiments but have never seen them around!?
Unless it’s relevant to your role then the RYA stuff won’t mean anything. Although it’s a nice to have for adventure training purposes.

Prepare for any firearms quals and experience to be robustly disregarded. The Army will want you to do things their way. Do not be that guy who rocks up and knows more than the instructor.

When I joined the reserves I’d been a regular weapons engineer in the Navy for 6 years. I still had to start from scratch with regards to weapons stuff. Apparently SA80s are different in the Army and Navy.

Having said that, it’s all good stuff to stick in the CV and will certainly make you stand out, but the reality is it won’t give you any advantage whatsoever when it comes to carrying over quals or being able to miss certain parts of training. The best you can expect is to have an easier couple of weeks when they do the weapons stuff because it’ll all be familiar.

@WhoHim, I see that MOD Plod have a policy on being in the Reserves.
Even though it looks as if you are not in one of the embargoed roles, I would check with your CoC just to ensure they are aware and happy.

WhoHim

Swinger
@WhoHim, I see that MOD Plod have a policy on being in the Reserves.
Even though it looks as if you are not in one of the embargoed roles, I would check with your CoC just to ensure they are aware and happy.
Thanks for the reply

Yes I am aware and have approached them to make them aware of my interest. This has been approved (sometime ago during my curiosity at the AFCO) but will probably have to mention it to them again to ensure it hasn’t been forgotten.

As for my qualifications, it’s very similar in my job in that any previous experience is nice but counts for very little and will be done their way. Can’t say I’m shocked to hear but always good to ask

WhoHim

Swinger
So.....application in and medical call booked.

Received a phone call from the recruiters asking if I would be interested in 165 Port & Maritime regiment. Seems spot on for what I would like to gain and the centre is pretty much on my door step!

Anyone have knowledge or experience from 165?

otbc

Swinger
So.....application in and medical call booked.

Received a phone call from the recruiters asking if I would be interested in 165 Port & Maritime regiment. Seems spot on for what I would like to gain and the centre is pretty much on my door step!

Anyone have knowledge or experience from 165?
My wife is expecting our first in September.
I was a cop for 8 years and then resigned to study abroad. We’re back in the UK and I put my reserve application in yesterday. We both figure that after 8 years of missing funerals/weddings/football etc as a cop a reservist role won’t take me away from the family too much!
I’m interested to hear how quickly they called you! I hope to hear from them soon but am well aware that it’ll take forever by all accounts.

WhoHim

Swinger
My wife is expecting our first in September.
I was a cop for 8 years and then resigned to study abroad. We’re back in the UK and I put my reserve application in yesterday. We both figure that after 8 years of missing funerals/weddings/football etc as a cop a reservist role won’t take me away from the family too much!
I’m interested to hear how quickly they called you! I hope to hear from them soon but am well aware that it’ll take forever by all accounts.
I applied online the Sunday and received a call on the Monday! My initial selection was for 6 rifles as this was my nearest unit. I was aware of 165 however I was under the impression that all training too place in Southampton (I’m from Plymouth)

When the called to arrange the medical call (taking place next week) they asked why i didn’t choose 165 and asked if I would like to move my application to them. Based on what I want to get out of the reserves it seemed a no brainier for me!

So far it seems quick but completely agree that things will probably take its time due to the current situation

otbc

Swinger
That sounds great for you. My local unit is Royal Anglian so I guess that’s the easiest thing for me. I’d be open to do a policing role but it doesn’t excite me too much given my professional background and the desire for new challenges.

What was the medical process given the lockdown situation?

WhoHim

Swinger
That sounds great for you. My local unit is Royal Anglian so I guess that’s the easiest thing for me. I’d be open to do a policing role but it doesn’t excite me too much given my professional background and the desire for new challenges.

What was the medical process given the lockdown situation?
All I know of the process for far is a medical “triage” call followed by forms sent to my GP. As far as I’m aware I can still send the forms via post to my GP

WhoHim

Swinger
So after some deliberation and careful thought (over a beer or two) I’m sticking with my initial thought of going for 6 Rifles.

I’ve been questioned by someone in the army about going for reserve officer. Having looked into this on the army website and other areas online, you need certain credentials to be considered. As I come from a time where experience trumped GCSEs I’m not rich with academic qualities (only what I’ve picked up in qualifications from my jobs over the years).

They have mentioned that the process is different in the reserves but I can’t find anything to back that claim up.

Anyone with any knowledge on the reserve officer process?

Bobby_Bert

Old-Salt
They have mentioned that the process is different in the reserves but I can’t find anything to back that claim up.

Anyone with any knowledge on the reserve officer process?
It is all on the Army career webpage, simply search Army Reserve Officer.

The regular commissioning course lasts for 44 weeks whilst the reserve course is divided into modules or a single 8 week package.

Both options will see you receive your commission on completion of your training at RMAS. Initial officer training is a series of 4 modules.

• Module A & B : These are either broken up into seven weekends with an Officer Training Corps or each done as a consolidated two week course at Sandhurst.
  • Module C: This lasts for two weeks and takes place at Sandhurst.
  • Module D: The two week Army Reserve Commissioning Course at Sandhurst, which is the culmination of your leadership and management training.
Consolidated training courses are run at Sandhurst, allowing you to potentially complete all of your Reserve Officer training in a single eight week package. This is something to discuss with your Candidate Support Manager.

Latest Threads