Joining as a Metalsmith?

Discussion in 'REME' started by Devlin24, Jun 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I am thinking about joining the REME as a Metalsmith, so am looking for some further information on this trade. It looks like an interesting and varied role and a good transferable trade. I really enjoy working with my hands so it looks good for me.

It would be great to hear from any guys who are working as a metalsmith at the moment, who can tell me about there day to day work.

Where are metalsmiths posted? Do they work in REME battalions or are they posted to individual units as necessary? What sort of jobs could I expect to be doing as a new metalsmith?

Do many metalsmiths go on to become artificers, I notice on the Army jobs website it suggests that you would have to re-train in another mechanical discipline to become an artificer? So is there a promotion ceiling in this trade?

Thanks for any help.

D

2. Hi
    Im not a metal smith so i can't really comment on there job satisfaction, but metal smiths are posted to battaions and individual units. You will have to retrade to vm or armourer which will take about a year. So you have to ask yourself why just not join as one of them first? The promotion is slow the higher up you go as you have to wait for the next bloke to die or get out so be prepared to stay at Cpl for a while or at least until you transfer to get on your tiffy course.
    So what do you retade to? Armourer and wait for one of the 2 tiffy courses a year to load or VM and wait for one of the 6
    Its up to you

3. Joining as a pikey?

4. Search for "metalsmith" and you will find other threads that cover this topic.

Litotes