Joining as a driver in the RLC

#1
I've recently applied to join the army as a driver in the RLC, and I was wondering if I am succesful which regiments are available for me to join after my phase 1 training.. cheers.
 
#3
Recently applied to join the RLC as a driver ?
You and however many else my friend. I'd focus
More on getting in and getting a confirmed start
Date before thinking regiments. Nice to see you doing
The research though
 
#4
Thanks for the reply. It's just I have my interview with the officer on Wednesday and I want to be as clued up as possible about what regiments I could possibly join.
 
#5
Here you go....

http://www.army.mod.uk/rlc/regiments/default.aspx

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/RLC_Units_-_Regular_Army

The Arrsepedia listing is shockingly enough more accurate than the MoD website - well done the MoD and RLC PR team ...sigh.

IIRC all of the Regiments listed on Arrsepedia require Pte drivers with the exception of 11 (one post only), 23 the glorious Pioneers and possibly 29.

Choices, doubt you'll have much luck, bar the one on your posting preference which will probably be ignored. Generally you get sent where your needed, always been the case for me anyhow.
 
#6
stinker said:
Here you go....

http://www.army.mod.uk/rlc/regiments/default.aspx

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/RLC_Units_-_Regular_Army

The Arrsepedia listing is shockingly enough more accurate than the MoD website - well done the MoD and RLC PR team ...sigh.

IIRC all of the Regiments listed on Arrsepedia require Pte drivers with the exception of 11 (one post only), 23 the glorious Pioneers and possibly 29.

Choices, doubt you'll have much luck, bar the one on your posting preference which will probably be ignored. Generally you get sent where your needed, always been the case for me anyhow.
You can forget a certain Aldershot based Transport Regt unless your from Nepal!
 
#7
most people coming through phase 2 now are all being sent off to Germany for there first posting.
 
#9
Bottleosmoke said:
mattrlc said:
most people coming through phase 2 now are all being sent off to Germany for there first posting.
As it always should be..
Exactly, get all those drink induced hazy morning parades done with early on in your career, then go back to UK wondering why the block is empty on weekends and spend the remaining 3yrs wishing you were back there.
 
B

Bottleosmoke

Guest
#10
CH512O said:
Bottleosmoke said:
mattrlc said:
most people coming through phase 2 now are all being sent off to Germany for there first posting.
As it always should be..
Exactly, get all those drink induced hazy morning parades done with early on in your career, then go back to UK wondering why the block is empty on weekends and spend the remaining 3yrs wishing you were back there.
3 years? Try most of your career but find that those out there are hogging the best jobs and raking in loads of money.............

But I am not bitter because then I got SSSA and FIA for 2 postings on the trot!
 
#12
marinamoonmunkee said:
My son has just finished basic at Pirbright and is going to Leconfield on Sunday for his phase 2 driver training. After that he will be joining 33 sqd at Abingdon.
Oh dear. Possibly the worst (against some pretty stiff competition) sqn in the RLC.
 
B

Bottleosmoke

Guest
#13
marinamoonmunkee said:
My son has just finished basic at Pirbright and is going to Leconfield on Sunday for his phase 2 driver training. After that he will be joining 33 sqd at Abingdon.
Well give him some mumly and BoS advice and toe the line up there, pass his tests and get to his unit as soon as possible.

If he does that, then one day he could be just like me..............
 
#14
marinamoonmunkee said:
My son has just finished basic at Pirbright and is going to Leconfield on Sunday for his phase 2 driver training. After that he will be joining 33 sqd at Abingdon.
never been to Abingdon, apart from the runway at 3 in the morning during Griffons Focus last year and a Ferrari drive years ago. But within the RLC, i have heard not the best Unit you can go to. But its what you make it.
 
#15
Bottleosmoke said:
marinamoonmunkee said:
My son has just finished basic at Pirbright and is going to Leconfield on Sunday for his phase 2 driver training. After that he will be joining 33 sqd at Abingdon.
Well give him some mumly and BoS advice and toe the line up there, pass his tests and get to his unit as soon as possible.

If he does that, then one day he could be just like me..............
or if he gets some sense and he is a good egg, transfer to the PetOp trade and get to see some real action! :wink:
 
#16
CH512O said:
You can forget a certain Aldershot based Transport Regt unless your from Nepal!
There's still the Glorious 27, if you like that sort of thing.
 
#17
stacker1 said:
marinamoonmunkee said:
My son has just finished basic at Pirbright and is going to Leconfield on Sunday for his phase 2 driver training. After that he will be joining 33 sqd at Abingdon.
Oh dear. Possibly the worst (against some pretty stiff competition) sqn in the RLC.
Thanks for that little piece of information. I feel a whole lot better now.
 
#19
marinamoonmunkee said:
stacker1 said:
marinamoonmunkee said:
My son has just finished basic at Pirbright and is going to Leconfield on Sunday for his phase 2 driver training. After that he will be joining 33 sqd at Abingdon.
Oh dear. Possibly the worst (against some pretty stiff competition) sqn in the RLC.
Thanks for that little piece of information. I feel a whole lot better now.
Think how I felt when I got posted there.
 
#20
CH512O said:
marinamoonmunkee said:
My son has just finished basic at Pirbright and is going to Leconfield on Sunday for his phase 2 driver training. After that he will be joining 33 sqd at Abingdon.
never been to Abingdon, apart from the runway at 3 in the morning during Griffons Focus last year and a Ferrari drive years ago. But within the RLC, i have heard not the best Unit you can go to. But its what you make it.
take it easy fellas..think of the command team at that particulary sqn & regt. no doubt they're accutely aware of the issues but can do little about it, ie sh!t infra, out of their hands; mong soldiers all on the sick, out of their hands etc etc
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top