Joining Army reserves

Thinking of joining the army reserves, I'm after some nuggets of wisdom, any info appreciated.

Do you or do you know anyone in the AR that works in a school?
Do both roles complement each other with the amount of time off, or do they clash?
Is the school employer keen?

I'm a turn up early, smiling whilst swimming in sh*t kind of person, and I want to contribute to the AR but also gain skills and experience from it.
Of course it will vary from unit to unit but what sort of quals and training have people gained?

Thanks in advance

I knew a few at university. The uni did not give a to55 as long as the lecturer was available to deliver lectures, etc., etc., when they were expected to do so.

The mahoosive summer holidays which teachers/lecturers benefit from basically mean that as long as you are qualified to do courses; courses are available and/or there is an exercise and/or other activity which the Admin Officer can slot you into then you will be kept busy. Word of warning: Do not ask to be kept busy and then whinge that they want you to work weekends and after 17:00hrs.

A great deal hinges on the unit you want to join. For example if you join the Teabag Carrier Corp you will not be kept as busy as if you joined a Special Forces related unit, or 4 Para. FYI the lecturers I knew at uni were in the SAS reserve.

Fair play, I'm settled in and can happily give a lot of hours to it now.
The summer holidays is exactly what I'm thinking, I'll put my name forward for whatever training is going. I'd only be able to put in time on evenings and weekends during term time however, no time off.

Near me are Royal Anglian Reg, REME Recovery and Royal Armoured.
I'll be calling local units and will organise to go down in person to talk/ get a feel.

I'll keep posted on application process and time taken for anyone who cares.

Thanks for the input Effendi

Fair play, I'm settled in and can happily give a lot of hours to it now.
The summer holidays is exactly what I'm thinking, I'll put my name forward for whatever training is going. I'd only be able to put in time on evenings and weekends during term time however, no time off.

Near me are Royal Anglian Reg, REME Recovery and Royal Armoured.
I'll be calling local units and will organise to go down in person to talk/ get a feel.

I'll keep posted on application process and time taken for anyone who cares.

Thanks for the input Effendi
There were a couple of teachers in my last unit,we were mixed cap badges. I don't think they had any real problems getting time off etc.
Stick with the process,it can take aaaaaages.

We had a guy in our, I mean ‘the’ TACP Battery (255 TACP Battery, the only dedicated TACP unit in the army btw, if you’re interested). We deploy on exercise many times throughout the year so he had plenty of time to get things done.

Latest Threads