Joining Army Legal Service- a good idea?!

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by legalgenius, Jan 7, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi- Apologies if this isn't the right forum for my question. Am hoping someone will move it if I've come to the wrong place!

I am really hoping (as a matter of some urgency!) to get an idea of life in the Army Legal Service. If anyone is able to give me a steer on what it is genuinely like to serve with them I would be most grateful!

Decision time is fast approaching for me and I have got myself in a bit of a pickle re life/career and all sorts of deeply meaningful stuff like that.

Here's my list of questions:

1 Truthfully- are they all failed civilian lawyers? This isn;t the impression I have gotten so far from actual ALS personnel (like myself several of them are ex-city solicitors) but other (non ALS officers) all seem keen to slate them as losers!

2 Please don't scoff at this next question but- Will an operational tour be a given? Recruiting officers I have spoken to seem v keen to sell the ALS as very female and family friendly and have sidestepped this question quite cleverly so far!

3 Will I get to do advisory and operational as a definite? Truth be told I don;t want to be stuck getting 18 year old recruits out of cells on saturday nights for any real length of time!

Any advice HUGELY appreciated.

2. Not if you want to be an Astronaut or a cummerbund designer.
  3. Useful.

Anyone else?!
  4. Underwater welder is probably out of your depth, too.
  5. Cow

Cow LE

Did you read the ALS page on the Army website yet?
  6. Yep- done all that and been offered an interview etc
  7. 1. No. They are actually quite under rated.

2. It's the Army, so take that as a yes. The issue may have been side-stepped as the Army are currently and through not fault of their own, engaged in two unpopular wars. You don't sell a job by telling the potential employee all the bad things about it.

3. Don't know about the first part, you'd need to speak to someone in the ALS. For the second part, they don't engage in that sort of malarky.

Be aware though that there are changes ahead for Military prosecutors. Try posting this in the Officers Mess and/or the AGC forums.

Whatever you do, don't join the RAF. Their legal branch are are a bunch of *********. Just look at their recruiting website (It's the one with the Jackie Chan impersonator grinning in the witness box...why a prosecutor would be in the box in the first place?).

Can't you arrange a visit? Always better to see people face to face as to blethering on a website?
  8. Thanks for replying - thats helpful.

I have tried to organise meeting someone but the xmas period sort of got in the way and people were on leave etc hence I have posted on a chat site..not my preferred source of careers advice but needs must..!

I will try and move this post..not sure how I do that but will try!

PS I hear you re the RAF. I gave up on them after the guy I spoke to told me there was no one to take my call as the radiators weren't working that day and everyone had been sent home!

9. :D :D :D
  10. I think in all organisations there are the good and bad, the Firsts and the third class honours brigade, the ALS is the same as that. In my time we had some very serious support from the ALS with people well capable of being in the Allen & Overy and Linklaters stables but who chose for the fun and glory to serve with the ALS.
    Have a look at them, with all the european Law and rules of engagement dramas flying around you are bound to get a better fist of it rather than punch ups in NAAFIs and desertion cases which you will still get any way.
    Not sure the ALS will give you the 19 hour days the trainees get in the City!
    All the best but do look at them.
  11. You just couldn't make that up :lol:
  12. The bizarre thing was it was only October! I'll give them a miss..

Thanks for helpful replies..I think I will try and meet with someone face to face..I still have questions about the PQO course aswell so its probably best if I make contact with someone..

I just feel like a bit of weirdo ringing them up for a chat but nevermind!

Pimpernel- I trained at Linklaters and have indeed had my fair share of 19 hour days by the photocopier..!
  13. I am ex RN legal team (although on a less exaulted level than as a barrister!).

The SLA (staff legal advisor) I worked for was a double first from Oxford, top barrister in his year, speaks French and German and Mandarin Chinese, and there was certainly nothing failed about him.

You do not say what level you are at, have you done BVC? or perhaps LPC? what about pupillage/training contract?
  14. Finally! I've been rooting around for ages trying to find a (serious) post about the ALS - I've tried all the official routes of getting information (websites, recruitment offices etc.) but, for a professional bunch, they're not the most forthcoming!

I'm currently looking to qualify with a magic circle but, whilst I'm excited about the challenge of working in the City, I think that a few years down the line I might want a change of pace. My only concern is that the ALS would not offer high enough calibre work. I know that sounds incredibly pretentious, but I don't really want to spend the majority of my days in the Army as a 'high street' lawyer.

Furthermore, I really don't want to find myself in a career dead-end. What are the chances for career progression within the service and, should one leave it, do ALS lawyers find themselves totally restricted to other governmental departments/offices?

Phew! Long post. Hope you can help me!

15. Perish the thought!

My current experience is that the commercial sector is collapsing and the "high street lawyers" getting legal aid are the only winners.

If you have an ALS place, take it.