Joining and debt.

Hello all

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, new here.

I have been considering joining for a while now, specifically a medical area (unqualified). But I am looking into other options.

However, I do have a significant amount of debt on my shoulders and I am currently in a DMP. I am only 24 years of age but have had financial struggles over the last few years.

I have heard rumours that debt would stop me from being able to join?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
There are quite a few threads on here regarding joining and debt: probably best having a look through those as some people actively involved in recruiting currently have commented.

As far as I'm aware, the key is whether your debt is considered manageable or not but I'm nowhere near current.

@Ninja_Stoker is a careers adviser (albeit Navy) but he should hopefully be able to help.

(Sorry Ninja!)
:) Ooh thanks.

As stated, I'm not qualified to give careers advice beyond RN & RM. I can tell you how the Navy views it but the Army may be a bit different because all Navy personnel undergo full Security Clearance (SC) and that is what governs the policy whereas I think some Army trades have Counter Terrorist Checks (CTC) which are a bit different.

For those undergoing full SC, Defence Business Services/National Security Vetting (DBS/NSV) run a variety of checks, one of which is the individual's credit score rating by using Experian.

Unresolved CCJs and unaddressed default notices or ignored debts will be a show-stopper. If the Experian record is not up to date - tell them and get it corrected.

The rough rule of thumb for RN/RM personnel is your committed outgoings must be less than 50% of your armed forces starting net pay (ie less than about £440 a month - ish). If there is an element of doubt, your AFCO and/or NSV will send you a Financial Questionnaire.

I'm not being judgemental, but the bottom line is financial irresponsibility can be a disciplinary offence within the Armed Forces which can lead to discharge. The reason is it can be linked to dishonesty or indeed leave the individual, with access to classified data, vulnerable to offers for information useful to the ill disposed. It sounds very cloak and dagger, but you get the drift.

Hello all

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, new here.

I have been considering joining for a while now, specifically a medical area (unqualified). But I am looking into other options.

However, I do have a significant amount of debt on my shoulders and I am currently in a DMP. I am only 24 years of age but have had financial struggles over the last few years.

I have heard rumours that debt would stop me from being able to join?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Many thanks

It's out of date info, but a relative was in, and a level of debt leaving you vulnerable to either bribery or blackmail was considered a serious no-no.

Edit : There's also a "good character" inference with so much debt.

Best thing to do IMHO is to give a try. The worst thing that can happen is you don't get in. The next worst thing would be a reshow, showing significantly reduced debt. Or...you might get in. The key is to be open and honest as any sign of dishonestly could lead to a services not required.
Personally, if they don't ask, I wouldn't volunteer the information.
There are plenty of people serving with high levels of vetting and high levels of debt, all things being subjective, how the debt was incurred, and how it is being managed is more important then the fact an individual is in debt.
Again, give it a go, the army is full of people that have turned themselves around, just be honest when asked.

Latest Threads