Joining AFC Harrogate

Vickat1

Swinger
Hi,

My daughter is desperate to join up to be a Junior Soldier after a stint in the CCF and also a bit of a desire to follow in her dads footsteps I think!
I’ve a couple of questions if there is anybody kind enough to help?
She has done the initial online tests and found them very hard - we don’t know how she did yet as we don’t have her briefing with our local careers office until later later this week. She suffers with dyslexia - this is proven and she’s allowed extra help in exams etc so I was wondering if anybody could tell me if they’d take this into account for the psychometrics?
Also, her fitness is very good and her team playing is very good (she’s very sporty) can anybody give any advice on what she needs to study before she attends the assessment centre?
Lastly - does anybody have any idea of the acceptance rate into AFC Harrogate?
Thank you in advance ☺️

A general reply with some background information (though it is some years since I was at AFC but I don't think too much has changed). AFC focusses on the academic side of soldiering which is a good thing. Soldiers leave (or at least did in my day) well qualified for promotion academically. The teaching staff are all experts in dealing with learners of differing ability and those with particular needs such as dyslexia - the wider army is also very supportive in this aspect, so she should not worry too much as there will be plenty of help available. I loved my time on the staff at Harrogate and was always pleased when later in my career I ran into my former Juniors who were succeeding in their trades. Best of luck to her.

Vickat1

Swinger
A general reply with some background information (though it is some years since I was at AFC but I don't think too much has changed). AFC focusses on the academic side of soldiering which is a good thing. Soldiers leave (or at least did in my day) well qualified for promotion academically. The teaching staff are all experts in dealing with learners of differing ability and those with particular needs such as dyslexia - the wider army is also very supportive in this aspect, so she should not worry too much as there will be plenty of help available. I loved my time on the staff at Harrogate and was always pleased when later in my career I ran into my former Juniors who were succeeding in their trades. Best of luck to her.
Thank you so much - that’s really helpful

Latest Threads