Joining ACF as AI

Hello,

I have seen a few posts about joining the ACF as an adult instructor but none answered my specific questions so thought I'd add to the chaos...sorry!

I have just been told that after passing AOSB Main Board, MOD 3 with the OTC and 5 years in the OTC gaining sponsorship that I am no longer medically fit due to a kidney stone. I always enjoyed my time spent helping out the ACF and CCF on their various camps and spent time as a cadet myself, so I have been advised/decided myself to go for an ACF AI.

My questions are:

1. on the ACF webpage it says that it takes 2 years (roughly) before you can go to AITC and get your SI, will my experience shorten this in anyway?

2. Will I have to sit the cadet commissioning board if I want to get a commission given that I have already passed AOSB?

Any Help would be grand!

1.It shouldn't take two years to do AITC and become an SI, where I am 12 months is more like the norm unless things have radically changed/ are changing with the induction/pre ITC training.

2. I'm not sure about having to do the AOSB board again, if you had already been commissioned then it would have been cut and dried although you would most likely have had to revert to Lieutenant had your former rank been higher. All ACF commissioned officers are I believe only ever substantive as Lieutenants with higher rank being appointment only.
TBH, I can't really see why you would have to do AOSB again when you have already passed it.

As I am going through the process right now, perhaps my experience might give you an idea...

1. That is what it says on the website but I have been told by my Battalions OC that he expects me to get there in under a year. Much depends on me, and my determination. The paperwork was signed on Monday last week, I had my FAMASS last weekend, I am on a course this weekend, so its moving pretty fast.
...after 18 months of application that is!!!

2. I have been told you need to be apponted a PI first, then have to attend CFCB no matter what your background is. The ACF is, after all, a youth organisation and the AOSB is looking for a very different type of person.

2. I have been told you need to be apponted a PI first, then have to attend CFCB no matter what your background is. The ACF is, after all, a youth organisation and the AOSB is looking for a very different type of person.
That isn't entirely true:

ACF Manual said:
a. Those applicants already serving as AI in the ACF who attend the Cadet Forces Commissions Board (CFCB).
b. Those applicants who are currently serving as commissioned officers, or who have previously served as commissioned officers in the UK or Commonwealth Armed Forces, or who have gained a pass at the Army officer Selection Board (AOSB) or equivalent, who are assessed by the AOSB Transfer Board.
If you passed AOSB you are eligible for the Transfer Board route, though the board can still recommend that you attend CFCB anyway. You can always ask!

That isn't entirely true:

If you passed AOSB you are eligible for the Transfer Board route, though the board can still recommend that you attend CFCB anyway. You can always ask!
Thanks for pointing that out...not sure how the OC will react when I wave that under his nose, but I will find out on Friday. That might cut down on time for me. Cheers

Thanks for pointing that out...not sure how the OC will react when I wave that under his nose, but I will find out on Friday. That might cut down on time for me. Cheers
Perhaps put it (politely) in the form of an idea to save the ACF time and money:

"Sir/Ma'am, I saw in the ACF Manual that those who passed the AOSB main board can apply for an ACF commission via the AOSB transfer board. Would it be possible for me to do this as it would save time and free up a space on CFCB for someone who needs it."

Thanks for the Replies! 18 months really!?! I knew it would take a while but wasn't too bothered as I am actually not discharged until June 15th. Hopefully my pre-existing P-file will save on the paper work as I already have an Army Number, Clearance etc.

I'll look into the Transfer Board, I've never heard of it but sounds interesting :)

To the guys thinking of joining and the one going through the process at the minute, I am currently a PI within the ACF and should be a SI by October which is when I am due to go on my AIC course. The reason it says 2 years on the ACF website is because this is the maximum time they allow for you to complete your training to become an SI

I did my FAMASS in October of last year so it can be done within the year but this is down to how much time you can give to the initial training, occasionally you can miss out on some of the training if you have previous experience/just came out.

Hopefully this can clear up 1 or 2 issues for you guys. :)

For a person joining from the streets - the period is up to 2 years in the new process, however if you have previous (and recent) military experience it can be severely reduced - it depends on what courses etc you had attended - DITS/BITS will count towards the AIC etc.
A person who has just left the forces and has the right experience/quals may be able to get the process done in a few months (we have one who should be fully done in 7 months) depending on your commitment.
However most counties seem to be erring on the side of caution at the moment - so be prepared fir a lot of "how to suck eggs" lectures.

Wee update, Famass 3 weeks ago, CO expects me to be PI by mid June depending on speed of paperwork. If I can get on my BIC and IIC courses before October, that means I can get on the AIC course start of next year and thus SI by May...in theory. Our two latest SI's got through in 9 months, one Ex reg (all be it a commonwealth country) the other no military experience at all.

I agree on the side of caution, out lot are taking their time due to issues in the past that they do not want to repeat!

There would seem to be the possibility, as Talon indicated above, for some acceleration. ( and donlt forget to ask if you hold any qualifications which may cross over and which also might need updating as you go along). But do bear in mind the courses are not all about knowledge, they are also your County getting to know you and vice versa. They do have an advantage in that you will meet others you will be working with in the future, as in the past any new adult entrant to a County only gradually learned who was what and where :)
The ACF ethos and culture has similarities with TA and Regular, but also has its own, and it has to be said its own local variations! There will be guys on those courses you will learn from, and hopefully those on courses who will also learn from you.
The average County has ex mil, ex cadet and moves through to those with no previous experience of "army matters" through those with experience working with young people in the community, to those with none of any of this! Working with this range of adults can prove difficult at first for some from any of those backgrounds, and the courses I would be sure assist working together over the long term.

Finally, there is an informal Facebook Group for those within, ex and supporting the ACF, and if you are not there yet, you may find it useful. PM me here with your Facebook ID if you wish to join and I will add you when you apply.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ACFCFAVs/642904432462398/?notif_t=group_comment_reply

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
King-walt ACF 24
LongJohnSilver ACF 21
shshelicopters OTC and ACF 7