joining AAC

Any friendly advice for a a 25 year old TA sapper wanting to joing the AAC?
Thanks
Tom

should clarify that I want to join the regs...

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Don't.

Be prepared for a long wait to get into basic training!!!
Have just had a guy pass ADSC and was told there was no places till April/may 2009

Is Jersey your locstat or a statement of your sartorial elegance (or otherwise) ?

Air sickness is a bummer if your in the AAC

B

blindfire

MSI64 said:
Have just had a guy pass ADSC and was told there was no places till April/may 2009
Only 6 months...not so long

Hi FrogPrince,

Jersey is my locstat.

Just sent off my application and the Recruiting Sergeant from Bournemouth will be coming over soon so I can sit the BARB test. Hopefully I'll get enough points to make me eligible for the AAC.

Being in the TA in Jersey, some of us managed to get on the Rigger/Marshaller course when 7 Reg came over, and it was awesome fun.

I've also had a PPL for about 7 years, so I'm hoping that my keen interest in soldiering and aviation will stand me in good stead.

Cheers

Tom

Good on yer Tom Ispent seven years in the 17/21 Luft lancers best flying club in the world pity they took our toys away and I had to go back to my 432

MSI64 said:
Can quote that.

I re-enlisted on february gone, i was lucky to get into the february 09 intake

JerseyTom said:
Hi FrogPrince,

Jersey is my locstat.

Just sent off my application and the Recruiting Sergeant from Bournemouth will be coming over soon so I can sit the BARB test. Hopefully I'll get enough points to make me eligible for the AAC.

Being in the TA in Jersey, some of us managed to get on the Rigger/Marshaller course when 7 Reg came over, and it was awesome fun.

I've also had a PPL for about 7 years, so I'm hoping that my keen interest in soldiering and aviation will stand me in good stead.

Cheers

Tom
Which school did you take your PPL with? and how much did you get it for? im going to pay for my own PPL and possibly ATPL (if i win the lottery :p) over the course of the next 4 years once im settled into my regiment (do it on free weekends).

Hi David2008

I was lucky...I got a RAF flying scholarship whilst I was at school and was sent to Dundee (Tayside Aviation) for 20 free hours of flying training. Then I came back to Jersey to finish my PPL at Jersey Aero Club. But I know a PPL in Jersey costs around £6500 now...if you manage to do everything within the 45 hours and pass all ground exams first time. I think a lot of flying clubs are more expensive in the UK due to VAT.

Also, try to fly more than weekends as weather restrictions and booking demands will cause you to miss the occasional weekend of flying...and then skill fade sets in. Take annual leave in blocks of a fotnight and try to fly every day. Make friends with someone who has a PPL locally and try to get in his right-hand seat for some hours, experience, top tips and handy hints.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Tom

Quick question for the serving AAC chaps...

After passing phase 1 and 2 training, do you choose what career path you follow, or do you get told whether you'll be an armouer/refueller/driver/comms/rigger/marshaller/etc dependly on how you performed during training?
Also, how quickly can you get on a cadre to start career progression and get lance-jack? (as I'm already 25 and would like to get the ball rolling fairly rapidly).

Cheers

Tom

I went from TA sapper to AAC regs. As soon as you get into phase 2 at the mighty wallop your on the basic groundcrew/basic radio user courses, depending on personal preference/your mad skills with a radio you'll be encouraged/allowed to take which ever route you want(sigs/refuel). Best off do both, though you'll need to be downing 10 cans of redbull a day to get through the 7 weeks of bowman I endured.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment 24
gruffman1 Aviation 0
E Aviation 14