Joining a regiment

You can express a preference, and the Army will at least consider it, but where you end up depends where they need a warm body the most

Roadster, you’re coming to the end of your year long course. Put in your posting preferences.

”My wife is a Civil Servant, so UK please - anywhere but Germany”.

”16 SIg Regt, Krefeld - Go!”

So off we went, and had a great time. The lesson I learned, is that it doesn’t really matter where you go. Any unit at any one time is just a snapshot. The role can change, personalities change, good reps become bad ones and vice versa. You will get out of it what you put into it. If the regiment is not to your liking, use the time there to do courses that qualify you in a wider sense, and so you’re not stuck In a place all the time doing something you don’t like. And with a wider qualification set, your posting world becomes larger.

D

Deleted 4482

So, I’m joining the royal artillery in March working with unmanned Ariel systems but I have a question. So after speaking with my recruiter I’m aware that after qualifying as a gunner in Larkhill I will then be put into one of the following regiments 32 regiment RA or 47 regiment RA, I’m wondering wether or not I get to pick which I get to join because I would rather join the 32 regiment which is more out on the field whereas 47 regiment are generally sat at base flying the watch keeper drone. I am going to ask my recruiter when I get the chance too but if anyone can help answer my question that would be awesome, thanks.
Probably best at this stage in your career to keep your head down and your arse up. Start voicing preferences once you've got a bit of time, experience and proof of worth behind you.
You will end up where you end up. I cannot speak for the army but- I'm pretty certain that a new joiner is going to only end up where their designated career path takes them - up until the point they open new paths for themselves - with experience.

Take no notice of the 'motivational' interview technique stuff you can find online that tells you that YOU are interviewing your employer also. You're in the army now. You will maintain the Status Quo.

Pun intended.

Probably best at this stage in your career to keep your head down and your arse up. Start voicing preferences once you've got a bit of time, experience and proof of worth behind you.

At this point in his career it’s literally just filling in first, second and third choices on a form (PPP) that everyone is expected to do anyway

So, I’m joining the royal artillery in March working with unmanned Ariel systems but I have a question. So after speaking with my recruiter I’m aware that after qualifying as a gunner in Larkhill I will then be put into one of the following regiments 32 regiment RA or 47 regiment RA, I’m wondering wether or not I get to pick which I get to join because I would rather join the 32 regiment which is more out on the field whereas 47 regiment are generally sat at base flying the watch keeper drone. I am going to ask my recruiter when I get the chance too but if anyone can help answer my question that would be awesome, thanks.

Bear in mind (as your recruiters etc may not have told you this yet, they also may not necessarily know themselves!) but joining the RA you are going to be trained as a Gunner Crewman first and foremost. A few weeks into Phase Two at Larkhill is where you will be asked to put down your three preferences (as another poster mentioned above).

The key point I'm trying to make here is that there is the possibility you may not get any of the three preferences you jotted down! Instead you could be placed in any other RA regiment that you were never interested in. You will be put where ever the RA needs personnel the most.

In the scenario you don't get a UAV regiment, it is possible to transfer to one later down the line but again bear in mind there is no guarantee of this because of two factors. One the Army would have to pay for you to be re-trained as UAV and two what the manning levels are like in your existing unit i.e. have they got enough existing bods to let you transfer out to another regiment?

I may be completely wrong here but I'd say both UAV regiments are probably the least undermanned regiments in the RA due to drones obviously being a popular and modern choice of trade, especially if you consider most if not all other RA regiments are not directly transferable trades once you become a civvy again.

I hope you get one of the UAV regiments but if it's the only trade you want to do within the RA then be aware it's a bit of a lottery where you could end up. If that's too much of a risk for you to take a chance on then it would be sensible to consider other corps/regiments within the Army if it isn't too late as I don't know what stage you're at.

Last edited:

Latest Threads