Joining 4 Para (not fitness or 'how hard is it' related)

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Gixxer750K6, Feb 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I have a couple of questions regarding joining 4 Para.

I was medically discharged from recruit training (Grenadier Guards) in Feb'11 for a back problem. The problem has since been squared away and I don't have a barr on me re-enlisting. I wondered whether this could pose a problem during my application for 4 Para, or whether it would be a fairly straight forward process? Is this likely to add a considerable amount of time to my application?

Also could anyone tell me the BMI range on the medical? I'm fairly slim, my BMI is currently about 19.5. It was never a problem when I applied to join the Grenadiers and I just wondered whether it had changed?

Thanks for your time.
  2. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Speak to the DUke

He is an expert of 'cuffing it with a biff chit' and 'filling in his own fitness returns'

Whilst I'm reluctant to say anything nice or positive about him, he is current, time served and experienced in all things 4 Para

That said, he drives a punto
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Cheers Porridge_gun, I've dropped him a PM.
  4. A stock answer but here goes, speak to your GP about your back problem, you state its squared away which is good to hear, but the GP should be able to give you the heads up whether the rigours of joining 4 Para will present a problem.

Your BMI is in healthy range so cannot see that as precluding you, though BMI is not truly accurate eg Frank Bruno when he won the world title was in fact obese according to BMI.

Otherwise apply, be honest on health declarations and hope for the best, but certainly expect for the medics to take interest in clarifying your back health.

Good luck.
  5. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I don't fill in my own returns, I have a man to do that for me.

Gixxer, your PM has an answer.
  6. BMI of 19.5?

Do you have to run around in the shower to get wet??
    • Like Like x 2
  7. I've got a BmI of 19.5 too, and so has my other leg ;D
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Haha yep, good phys though.

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to the insight evening next month so hopefully I'll be able to find out more then.
  9. I was at 4 Para the other week handing in the results of a lung function test (which strictly speaking and according to their own guidelines I didn't need to, but the Doc wanted me to) and I got talking with one of the sergeants down there, he told that they were still having issues with deferrals relating to BMI's, it was effecting the rugby lads.

It is absolutely nuts, most the stories you hear could be avoided if the docs used common sense /initiative and showed some discretion. Maybe I am being completely naive.

10. Welcome to the military old son!