Joining 4 Mercian as an officer

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by AstonJW, Jul 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

I've been down to my local careers office to discuss joining the TA, it's something I've always been interested in and feel I could gain a lot from it.

Does anyone have any experience in 4 Mercian? This is my local infantry regiment, there is the option of logistics but I'm not sure if it is for me.

What is life in the TA like in general? What happens on a tuesday/weekend?

Cheers!

2. Where will you be joining?

4 Mercian is a pretty standard TA infantry unit, woefully short of junior officers. Plenty of foreign trips etc.

(wah shield up)
    Drill nights tend to be a mix of fitness, normal training, moving chairs from the drill hall to the garage and back, and admin. Weekends consist of exercises, adventure training, live firing and the odd piss-up.
    (wah shield down)

3. Thats because no one with common sense would want to be an officer in the TA. You don't do it for the money or for a career, it's an organisation for people who want to have some fun with a new hobby. Dealing with paperwork isn't a normal persons idea of fun. Therefore the only people who become officers in it, are those who want the title or don't know better.

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Or people who take a different view on what a challenge entails.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Joining either Stoke or Wolverhampton.

I was thinking officer to see if taking on a career as an officer in the regs would fit with me, as I have my own business at the moment and not sure whether to commit full time.

What sort of foreign trips can I expect? How is 4 Mercian for sport?

6. Good, Stoke and Wolverhampton are staying.
    Might be worth paying a visit to either. The recruiter at Stoke is a officer so he will be able to give you all the info you need. Drill nights are Tuesdays but there will be people in either location during normal hours.

Edited to add.
    Not much time for sport but there is enough AT either at coy, bn or brigade level, much of which is abroad (Spain, Malta or Alps seem popular). Lots going on in Uganda, USA, Cyprus and the odd oddball to places like Denmark, Kazakhstan etc.

7. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

As a TA officer (Commissioned Reg), I had the great good fortune and honour to lead TA soldiers in the frontline of a war where we were shot at more often than not and in circumstances that the Regulars appreciated. I have done much of note in my life, but I wouldn't swap that for quids. If your experience is more limited, blame yourself. Service is what you make of it.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Congratulations. I sort of get what you are saying, but I'm assuming some of the shots coming at you "more often than not" hit their target with grammar like that. You may have done "much of note" but it certainly wasn't in the literary form. What the hell is swapping for quids?

9. Cheers! Is there likely to be any benefit to joining Stoke over Wolverhampton or visa versa?

How has your experience of the TA been?

10. Yes the TA is a laugh, but hopefully the Army Reserve will be better, after all it cant get any worse, can it????

11. When does the TA weekend normally start? I.e. Friday night or Saturday morning?

What role do officers have during the weekends? Are they involved in the training at all?

Not intending to sound wet, just don't know where to find this sort of info!

12. (wah shield activated)

The training weekend will start either on Friday night or Saturday morning, depending on what you are doing and how much traveling is involved.
    As to your role: Yes you will be involved in training. The army has something called 'value based leadership' which means that if it is cold and the blokes need to crawl through a stream in the dead of night you will go first. You will also be expected to drink more beer than any of the soldiers in your platoon.
    You will be expected to plan some of the training, and more of it as your experience increases.

13. You'll probably end up doing a lot of planning and prep in your own time too. Because plebs like me will expect you to be ready when we show up :) If you are fitting that in with a family and or a challenging job it is not easy.

That's why a lot of otherwise bright enough blokes choose the route of kings - JNCO :) But a good TA Hofficer is worth having. I can still name 3 in particular from my time who were fantastic to work for.

Mercians at Wolverhampton are good blokes

14. I am an officer with this unit so if you have any questions or want to come along one night get in touch - no drama at all.

HBK

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)