Join the TA or UOTC?

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Manchester_Events, Apr 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'll be going to Birmingham City Uni in Sept to train as an ODP. Just wondering if it's a good idea to join the TAMS now, or just join the OTC there? anyone with either TA medical services or Brum OTC that could offer me some advice please?

thanks 8)
  2. OTC is a giggle, loads of ladies, everything structured around the uni year, looks good on cv, (probably) more chance for attachments/useful courses, get commissioned while you are there.....
  3. i had to go for TA cus my uni (worcester) dont do a UOTC
  4. cheers 8)

take it OTC will be found at freshers fair to sign up then? :? 8)
  5. Depends what you want, if you are not bothered about a commission and want to stay in beyond the end of Uni then join the TA, work your way up from there, bounty is more, training is more realistic, mates are more military orientated and want to be involved rather than just a part time job at Uni.

Don’t get me wrong you do get some decent keen people in the OTC, its just they’re the minority.
  6. M_E: Check your PMs.
  7. There was a bod at my old OTC who was a medical student and part of TA RAMC but attached to the UOTC for the Officer side of his training. I think he was part of the Medical Cadetship or whatever it's called now, may be worth investigating.
  8. Yep, unless you are at UCL or somewhere with a similarly minded union...
  9. Why don't you join the TA as a TASO, then you get to do all your officer training/MTQs at the UOTC and are still attached to a TA unit and get to take part in their training as well. Best of both worlds, plus you'll get the TA bounty which is way more than the TA one.

If you want more details PM me.
  10. msr

msr LE

11. Correct me if I'm wrong, but UOTC used to be "Group B" which meant essentially there had to be rioters on the streets before you were involved - Queen's Order II had to be signed. Normal TA these days there is at least a theoretical possibility that your studies could be interrupted.
  12. msr

msr LE

Full time education is a reason for the adjudicating officer, should you appeal, to postpone your mobilisation. So no, there isn't.
  13. Correct, what msr QC (Barrackroom & Bar) refers to is current policy which effectivly removes this liability. It is however only policy and as such can change without notice, I would assess this as unlikley though in the near term.