Join the TA! Be paid less than a third of the national minimum wage!

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Dr_Evil, Apr 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This means that a private, trooper, etc. is to be paid £1.81 an hour for those 24 hours.

The national minimum wage is £6.08 an hour for those aged over 21 but (no doubt in noble recognition of the service of the armed forces to their country), the National Minimum Wage Act does not extend to the armed forces, including the reserves.

Meanwhile, in other news: Army Reserves set to expand to 30,000! Recruiting targets increased! Yadda, yadda.
  2. Can you not just knock off for half an hour somewhere in between?
  3. Hardly news is it ? The regs have complained about much the same thing for years
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Don't do it then
    It's not compulsary.
    I never even asked what the rate was when I joined the Regs or the T.A. if you want to do it money dosen't come into it.

Those that go on Ops get well renumerated those that like hanging round in a drinking club get some pocket money.
    • Like Like x 7
  5. members of the armed forces are not entitled to the National Minimum Wage.... old news
  6. I know nobody who serves in the TA for the money. It's true that for the effort involved it hardly pays. It's more compensation for time spent. Especially in my role, where I spend probably three times as much time working at my desk at home than in the TAC on a Tuesday! The fact that it's low pay per hour for a 24hr period is just an interesting snippet.

Having said all that, you can't complain about the bounty.
  7. I can complain about the bounty! It takes far less time to spend it than it does to earn it haha
    • Like Like x 1
  8. But how could one resist such blandishments as this:

Or this if one insistes on being a Regular:

Come on, my lads, take the shilling and serve your Queen! All vittals and board found and get a uniform so smart it has a doctorate from Oxbridge.

(The Serjeant Kite side of me coming out...)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. It's news, in that -

(a) some wise person has decided that now is a good time to issue a reminder about that particular rule; and
    (b) "now" is bang in the middle of the recruitment "surge".

If the regs have been complaining about it for years then -

(a) that can only have been since 1997, when the DTI amended the National Minimum Wage Bill during its final stages to exclude the armed forces (the original plan was to include them but, apparently, it seems that a certain Tony Blair made the DTI change its mind); and
    (b) the situation is slightly different for the regulars in that for much of any given year, when not on operations, exercise or a 24-hour duty, they are being paid above the minimum wage for the hours they actually work.
  10. Yes this worries me greatly because as everyone knows the TA work for 24 hours for every day they sign on at all times.

Meanwhile back in the real world when not on ops or exercise you'll be working 9-10 hours for a days pay (less in some cases) including- breaks, meal times, skiving and phys/sports.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Or indeed he will be paid the same for 8 hours work.

And when you couple in the bounty, travel, etc suddenly things don't seem so bad. Not to mention access to the quals and courses, for free, that most civvies would kill for.

ie DTTT, 7 x 8hrs wage + CTLLS qual. Not too shabby.

Hazmat, 4 x 8 hrs wage + ADR licence. As above.

DIT for PTLLS, and First Aid at Work etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Looks more attractive than the current advert with the chaps carrying some scaffolding up a hill :)
  13. Section 37 of the National Minimum Wage Act 1998:

"37 Armed forces.

(1) A person serving as a member of the naval, military or air forces of the Crown does not qualify for the national minimum wage in respect of that service.

(2) Section 36 above applies to employment by an association established for the purposes of Part XI of the Reserve Forces Act 1996, notwithstanding anything in subsection (1) above."

Move along, move along. Nothing to see here.
  14. I'd rejoin if I could direct my chaps in carrying stuff up hills if we could do it on horseback with a proper rifle & a sword apiece. Perhaps the LoF beckons?
  15. In my four years as a TA PSI I have to admit that there were times when certain members of the TA completed "continuous attendance from 1700 hours on a Friday to 1700 hours on the Saturday". However that was so that they could have a piss up not work. And it counted as a spec day for their bounty too.

Take the rough with the smooth and stop banging on.