Join the Royal British Legion

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Invicta, Nov 3, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yesterday my Unit received a presentation from the Royal British Legion. Given the time of year it was especially pertinent. It covered the history of the organisation as well as what they do for serving and former service personnel now and their dependants.

The benefits of membership are certainly impressive. The RBL will often provide for FREE what you could normally expect pay for commercially at an extortionate rate. I won't list all of the benefits here, but if you follow the link below to the RBL site then you can see for yourself.

As a result, many of us including myself and a large number of young soldiers filled out the membership application forms.

See here: http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/

2. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Anyone got the address of that minister that cancelled his Remembrance Sunday for reasons of "relevance"?

I feel the need for an anonymous gift coming on (perhaps with a short note going to his Bishop too).

3. My bro (also serving) was damaged during work and contacted the RBL who were able to help him sort things out.

4. It is an organisation that does much good. I would urge everybody to take an interest.

5. Normally I'm quite tolerant, but taking the urine out of the RBL is very out of order. They many be a cliche, but you don't appreciate them until you need them.

6. Invicta, I think the point Ripper is making, is the RBL is perhaps being slow in adressing and attracting new and younger members.

7. I wrote to them about 15 years ago regarding the content of the magazine and the lack of appeal in it to the younger element.

Nothing has changed sadly.

Agree 150% with the other posters here, wonderful organisation who do amazing work but they lack something in the marketing area. They are still regarded by many as being a series of cheap pokey drinking clubs for the WW2 vets only.

I know the truth is different but they need to rid themselves of that image as well as the magazine image with stannah stairlifts, saga hols etc

8. Having seen what the last few members have written, I'm quite prepared to accept that my last post my have been a bit hasty. Apologies to all those who I may have misinterpreted.

Invicta.

That said, the initial post on this thread stands. The RBL is there to help all of us and not just the old and bold. JOIN!

9. Hmm I think you think you confuse the RBL with its network of clubs of ex service people. The armed forces are a lot smaller now and maybe working mens clubs are anachronistic. Modern old boys chat on ARRSE :)

Here are a few things that the RBL does for younger members..

1. It has a massive welfare organisation. You might not need the help, but lots of people do. Ex service people between 25-45 are disproportionately likely to be unemployed and poor and suffer mental illness - and disproportionately end up as rough sleepers. The RBL does a lot for young ex service people.

2. The recent investment in a big educational programme is to ensure that people leaving school know what red poppies mean, what Britain's Armed forces have done and why its important. (See other threads on Green poppies and levels of public ignorance)

3. The RBL lobbies for changes to public policy Here is a document listing their current programme. http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/uploads/documents/public%20policy.pdf

4. RBL battlefield Guides support recruit training though the battlefields tours of the battle fields of the world wars. Part of this is about using history to illustrate the realities of war and relate them to the core values. Part is about remembrance understanding what their grandfathers and great grandfathers did, and why they did it.