Join the Army and live longer

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Brotherton Lad, May 14, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

2. I am always uncomfortable when statistics are quoted around Service deaths because a relatively low number makes it sound almost good news when it is anything but. However, what do these statistics prove? The assumption is that they will all be down to PTSD but I find that difficult to believe. If, however, the statistics are used to gain more support for sufferers then I see nothing wrong with that.

The biggest problem and greatest barrier to effective care and treatment for PTSD these days seem to be the number of people who play fast and loose with the diagnosis. It seems to be almost the equivalent of the race card or the number of people who don't do well academically who are 'dyslexic'. PTSD is a very real and insidious condition and sufferers are not going to get the help they need when every prick who finds himself in the shit starts claiming PTSD as the universal excuse.

However, I'm glad that there are less suicides (and less deaths in general) than might have been expected but I'm also aware that PTSD can manifest itself in some people many years after the trigger factor so if the statistics are confusing the waters are likely to be muddied even more in the future.