Join as an Army Officer or Royal Marine Other Ranks

Hello all,

This is my first post on here so I hope I'm posting in the relevant section. If I could get some of your input regarding my situation, it would be really appreciated as I'm so split at the minute and need to come to a firm decision and commit.

So basically, I've decided to join the armed forces full time, but I cannot pick between Army Officer route or Royal Marine Other Ranks. It's mainly a question between Officer vs Other Ranks really. I've got my AOSB booked but I'd like to try and decide before attending. My main concern is how office/admin based an Officer is and how 'involved' the role really is? Some say it's pretty much all behind a desk, which is exactly what I'm trying to escape from my civilian job, whereas others say it's the best of both worlds and that you're extremely hands on? If anyone has genuine knowledge on an Officers day to day routine, I'd appreciate your input.

The reason for Army vs RM is that I'm 25 years of age and so I'm too old to even attempt the Royal Marine Officer course, which would have been my first pick since I'm in the Royal Marine Reserves at present and absolutely love it.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Any chance that you can't seek a waiver on the age thing for RM Officer as you are already an OR within the RMR? When do you hit 26 as the age range is 18 - 25 with first week of September being the cut-off point. Could be worth a punt surely; if that's you're preferred choice? Nothing ventured and all that!!!!

Have you discounted SUY? @Ninja_Stoker is the person with all the gen.
Apologies, what does SUY stand for? But thanks, look forward to hearing their thoughts.

Any chance that you can't seek a waiver on the age thing for RM Officer as you are already an OR within the RMR? When do you hit 26 as the age range is 18 - 25 with first week of September being the cut-off point. Could be worth a punt surely; if that's you're preferred choice? Nothing ventured and all that!!!!
I'm 100% going to attempt this for sure. I need my CO to sign a form to accept me transferring anyway so will explain everything then and see if he thinks it's possible at all. The AFCO who I've been in contact with seems to think that the age limit is set in stone though.

Just to add/update, there's a very slim chance of an age waiver for RMO unfortunately for direct entrants.

For Senior Corps Commission (SNCO Trained Ranks) it's worth bearing mind you'll not be employed in a troop commander role.

Very often, those aspiring to become Commissioned Officers in the RM infantry role may not appreciate they are unlikely to spend much of their career on the ground, at the sharp end, stabbing the bad guys in the face.

One of the most difficult things to convey is the difference between Other Rank and Officer in an operational capacity, this thread may help explain how I see it, but I have no doubt many would disagree with my perception: Officer or Marine? Experienced answers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for that @Ninja_Stoker that link was absolutely spot on and it seems as though me and that lad are/were in the exact same mind frame as each other. I think in reality, I know exactly which route I want to go down. I'm wanting to leave my civilian job because I'm sick and tired of being behind a desk day in day out, and I want to do the soldiering aspect that I've fallen in love with in the RMR, certainly in the short term.

In your opinion, if you were me, would you go to CTC and complete the regular training, or apply for a Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) contract and hope to just renew it when it expires? I'm not trying to gloat, but my civilian job pays well and I've read that you can claim this pay whilst on the FTRS?

Thanks for that @Ninja_Stoker that link was absolutely spot on and it seems as though me and that lad are/were in the exact same mind frame as each other. I think in reality, I know exactly which route I want to go down. I'm wanting to leave my civilian job because I'm sick and tired of being behind a desk day in day out, and I want to do the soldiering aspect that I've fallen in love with in the RMR, certainly in the short term.

In your opinion, if you were me, would you go to CTC and complete the regular training, or apply for a Full Time Reserve Service (FTRS) contract and hope to just renew it when it expires? I'm not trying to gloat, but my civilian job pays well and I've read that you can claim this pay whilst on the FTRS?
FTRS is a voluntary fixed-term contract available for trained ranks, it pays the standard military wage in relation to rank & seniority. Not to be confused with Reservist compulsory mobilisation, in times of national crisis, which can match civilian income for a limited period.

In my opinion, not joining as an officer if you have the oppurtunity is ridiculous.
If someone wants to carry out a particular role, and that role is available only to ORs, then joining as an officer and denying yourself the opportunity to do the job you actually want to is more ridiculous.

There's nothing to stop the OP doing AOSB. It'a a useful experience for what amounts to 5 days in total. You're not obliged to join but you will have learnt a great deal about yourself and others.

In my opinion, not joining as an officer if you have the oppurtunity is ridiculous.
Well I think your point is ridiculous - If a role isn't right for someone, then they shouldn't do it!

There's nothing to stop the OP doing AOSB. It'a a useful experience for what amounts to 5 days in total. You're not obliged to join but you will have learnt a great deal about yourself and others.
The only concern I have with this, is that I need to get a form signed by my CO stating that he accepts my transition from RMR to the army before I attend the AOSB. Once I get this signed, I assume that would mean I'm no longer part of the RMR? If that's the case, I need to make my decision pretty sharpish!

Well I think your point is ridiculous - If a role isn't right for someone, then they shouldn't do it!

The only concern I have with this, is that I need to get a form signed by my CO stating that he accepts my transition from RMR to the army before I attend the AOSB. Once I get this signed, I assume that would mean I'm no longer part of the RMR? If that's the case, I need to make my decision pretty sharpish!
That could be something you ask at interview. Would the CO look favourably on your return if AOSB doesn't go well? I'm not familiar with the rules for reservists.

Latest Threads