Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Join 4 PARA or 21 SAS(R)

I'm a civilian thinking of joining 4 Para or 21 SAS(R). I'd like to know which would be more interesting. What types of operations could I be involved in? I've read "A Quiet Soldier" by Adam Ballinger which is quite dated and I've read much about 4 Para recently. I can kind of understand what 4 Para do when they are deployed, but also read that 4 Para haven't had any operational deployment in some time. I'm quite hpysical and enjoy the outdoors, so wouldn't be motivated to join and only do practice operations.

In modern times, what types of operations could I be involved in with 21 SAS(R) after their switch to 1 ISR. Is it only long range recon?

If I joined 4 PARA, could I be involved with SFSG if I were motivated enough?

Thanks for your advice.

I had an interview scheduled for 21 SAS, but it was postponed due to the Coronavirus lockdown. I wanted to know if anyone on the forum had experience or was knowledgeable about them.

I did have a 4 Para interview, but forgot to ask about SFSG.

Any ideas as there's not much online?

Thanks @Toppet for your reply. For the others, do you have any useful knowledge or advice regarding what I could be involved in 21 SAS after Selection? In addition, what courses or progression would get me to SFSG? I'm not really interested in jokes, so please only repond with meaningful answers if you have something to contribute to the forum.

Thanks in advance for you mature responses.

Mesaboogie

Swinger
I remember seeing a video of 4 para pottering about the Falkland Islands helping farmers put up fences. Check this link out for some info on the possible career routes.

Any specific reason you don’t want to join up as a regular?

At university? Or in a decent career etc?

Thanks @Toppet for your reply. For the others, do you have any useful knowledge or advice regarding what I could be involved in 21 SAS after Selection? In addition, what courses or progression would get me to SFSG? I'm not really interested in jokes, so please only repond with meaningful answers if you have something to contribute to the forum.

Thanks in advance for you mature responses.
If you go for 21, be prepared for a very unforgiving training and selection process that will take at least a year to complete.

You'll be expected (in normal times) to attend two weekends a month, and will not be permitted to miss any of them.

Don't wear a pink shirt to the interview...

Last time I spoke to them their role was under scrutiny but you would have the opportunity to go away with 22. AIUI the guy involved in the Kenya situation was from 21.

I'm still in contact with some of them so will see what they're role is now.

The_Duke

LE
MOD comment - same rules as the regular recruiting boards.

if your post isn’t up to date, accurate and helpful to the potential recruit it doesn’t belong in here.

Bans next time.

If you go for 21, be prepared for a very unforgiving training and selection process that will take at least a year to complete.

You'll be expected (in normal times) to attend two weekends a month, and will not be permitted to miss any of them.

Last time I spoke to them their role was under scrutiny but you would have the opportunity to go away with 22. AIUI the guy involved in the Kenya situation was from 21.

What's the deal with not wearing a pink shirt?

Isn't that standard city wear these days?

Gen Q.

What's the deal with not wearing a pink shirt?

Isn't that standard city wear these days?

Gen Q.
One of their recruit team really doesn't like pink shirts; some years ago he'd refuse to accept anyone wearing one...

Thanks, that would be great. Obviously no details, just a general idea so that I can better plan for myself.

Anyone going for 21 or 23, Commitment is just as important as all the other selection criteria. Don’t forget, when you’re not in green you will be training in your own time and then training some more. Then, in the very little free time you have left, that will be used for training.
If you have a family and full time job (i.e a ‘conventional’ lifestyle), and pass selection, you will find you will very much be the exception.

rougeone39

Old-Salt
All units put on special events for recruits to have a glimpse it will usually happen at your first interview during recruitment process. They will also have a realties of war session as well before you do join to ensure that you still want to go down the path. Good Luck.

I'm a civilian thinking of joining 4 Para or 21 SAS(R). I'd like to know which would be more interesting. What types of operations could I be involved in? I've read "A Quiet Soldier" by Adam Ballinger which is quite dated and I've read much about 4 Para recently. I can kind of understand what 4 Para do when they are deployed, but also read that 4 Para haven't had any operational deployment in some time. I'm quite hpysical and enjoy the outdoors, so wouldn't be motivated to join and only do practice operations.

In modern times, what types of operations could I be involved in with 21 SAS(R) after their switch to 1 ISR. Is it only long range recon?

Thanks for your advice.

KWH

Crow
I just recently applied to another SAS(R) which is local to me. If you search you can find out more about entry. From what I read, you will start with the basic military training (that everyone does). It is usually 2x 1 weeks. But you can do it on weekends. Then you do weekends and drill nights before you get to selection. So I think that bit is going to be a year! Then after selection, you would spend 2 years on probation before you would be deployed.

One of the big things for selection is those hill tabs. Now I am a big hiker person and used to
doing long hikes. I regularly did 3 day hikes in Lake District with wild camps [before COVID-19]. But if you are not used to doing long hikes, I think this would really be hard! It takes months to get used to hiking with a heavy backpack and my backpack is probably not that heavy vs. what SAS expect you to carry! It's also not the same just doing one wild camp, if you are doing several nights of them it gets harder esp if it rains and things get wet! One time I had so many blisters I started putting ferns in my boots lol

Then there is the run time. I think you need to do 2km in under 8 mins.

Anyway, so I put myself off stating all this lol!

1. Get used to long hikes and wild camping over multiple-days
2. Get used to nav in the dark. Do some night hikes w just map & compass
3. Get used to running. Get your 2km time to 7-8 mins.

No idea about the swimming. I can do 1hr in a pool with breast stroke

Thanks for your advice.

You do standard infantry entry which includes Alpha and Bravo basic training followed by CIC. You can do these over weekends or condensed versions of them in 1 week (for alpha) and roughly 2 weeks each for Bravo and the CIC. It appears getting all this done by the end of 2020 is looking unlikely atm due to a backlog.

after that, if you have passed all of the standard infantry and the unit is willing to take you, you will need to attend one of the pre joining courses run twice yearly. The earliest you could likely get on this would be summer 2021.
You would then have approximately 6 months every other weekend and one day a week training for “test week”, being the final of the aptitude (hills phase).

if you are one of lucky ones to pass the hills phase, you then have about another 6 months of training before being badged. Training is one night every week and every other weekend. As mentioned above, If you miss a session, it’s return to unit so if you can’t realistically achieve that level of commitment, it’s likely to be a non-starter.

if you get badged, you have a further 2 years of training on probation before being eligible for deployment.

Almost all of this information is on the army careers website.

Latest Threads